What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doomed Site

Here are some pics of a recent trip to the Florida panhandle. This site is marked for development by next year. It is a shame. There are so many beautiful and unique S.flava forms here, as well as other Sarracenia and CP. You can see that the site has already been clear-cut in some areas.

newcam107-1.jpg

newcam108.jpg

newcam109.jpg

newcam110.jpg

newcam111-1.jpg

newcam112.jpg

newcam113-1.jpg

S.x catesbaei
newcam115-1.jpg

newcam116-1.jpg

D.intermedia
newcam117-1.jpg

Wow thats sad to see.

Would you be interested in helping NASC save the plants?

I wish I could do something to help out but I'm a long way away in Ga.

thats just a shame... for something as beautiful as a CP, its a harsh fate indeed...

The common wealth and good of mankind calls for the destruction of others - such a glorious species we are.

The common wealth and good of mankind calls for the destruction of others

Funny thing is that it will also cause the end of our species.

Only if there were some rich people who cared :(
If there was only a way to draw the wealthy into CPs
then show them what is happening to there habitat.

They are the ones getting rich by destroying the habitats.

I have a question. I know that this forum is against the wild collection of CPs, but in circumstances like this, isn't it better to save some of the unique plants and bring them into cultivation to at least save their genetic footprint?

Nah, saving plants (with permission) from land that's about to be developed and taking plants from land that's safe are two completely different things. If Manny or NASC (or anyone) gets permission from the owners of this land, it's OK to take every last one before the bulldozers and cement trucks come.

I know of one women who does the native hawaain plant garden she would have bought the property since she is in coservation and stuff around there.
Maybe if it was in oregon and I showed her the property for sale she wouldd have most likely bought it since she loves oregon and it's endangered plants.

Come on!! Let's get the shovels and buckets and get our backsides down there! I would be more than willing to go down there on a weekend and, like Pokemon, try to get them all. I wouldn't care if they ended up in personal collections, botanical gardens, colleges, as long as they were properly documented and labeled.

I would if it was a few hours away not days then give them away to places like the poster below said.

Yep, too far away here in Oregon.. :-(

personally, i would be willing to buy the peat and sand in bulk if it meant the conservation of those CPs... out here you can buy 3 cubic feet of peat for $10.00, and a good deal of horticultural sand for about the same thing.
I only wish there was some way to keep those plants alive, and that there was something i could do. Sadly i live in Oregon (like every other person on this forum :3 ) and short of donations, i can do nothing.

I wouln't mind tacking care of a few for a while then send them back If I got some really really small divisions one of each form if it could be tacken. I would have no problems paying for shipping both ways If I could take a few small divisions.
Maybe I could do a deposit of money or whatever. Maybe this sceme could be refined and used for other forum members/NASC members :) If someone who is part of the NASC could give me an answer.

Well, I'm the conservation officer with NASC. If we are involved, we will have to do this 100% legal and by the book. There is quite a bit of paperwork that has to be done before the first plant is dug up. We will have to have permission from the land owner. That's why I asked mfh if he would like to assist us in doing this. I will need some info from him before we can proceed.

Okay,I am all for helping out so if you do need some help just ask :D

I live in the Atlanta area and would be willing to drive down after all the paper stuff is taken care of; just let me know if you guys need a hand.

-Neal

Back