Thread: Splinter Hill Bog Campaign

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Splinter Hill Bog Campaign

Hello everybody

Some of you may already be aware of this, but if you aren't, Splinter Hill Bog is located in southern Alabama. The site is owned by The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and contains one of the last remaining intact stands of Sarracenia leucophylla in the world. There are many other CPs there including Sarracenia rosea, S. psittacina, S. flava, S. rubra, Drosera capillaris, D. intermedia, D. filiformis, D. brevifolia, Pinguicula lutea, P. planifolia, and Utricularia.

Learn more about this fantastic site here:

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northa....s/art12813.html

The Nature Conservancy has started a campaign to enlarge their landholdings in the Splinter Hill Bog Preserve by buying a crucial 40 acres.

As carnivorous plant enthusiasts and conservation-minded individuals, I hope you all will consider making a donation for this cause.

There are many ways to contribute: you can contribute directly to TNC; you can donate through your ICPS membership for matching donations by the ICPS (see more details at the link below) and...

The 2008 NASC Benefit Auction will be contributing 50% of auction proceeds (up to $1,500) to the Splinter Hill acquisition campaign!

You can read more specifics about this awesome project here:

http://icps.proboards105.com/index.c...read=33&page=1

Please consider foregoing that cup of Starbucks or the CD you were thinking of buying and donate to this fantastic cause. This is the type of land that is fast disappearing and if you go look at the pics, you will understand the importance of getting this land into the hands of conservationists. Just a few dollars can help...it all ADDS UP!

Spread the word and check it out!

Thank you so much for your conservation support.

-Suzanne
    NASC President
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can probably use the donations as tax write offs for next year.
    Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say 'Hey man, I love you this many dollars worth. -Michael Scott, The Office

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That picture on the bog website is amazing. What an area. I would cry if it disappeared.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Binata and capensis starter packs will be on the nasc from me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!

And yes the photos from that site are just incredible. Can you even imagine losing that?? It makes you sick.

If all you have to give is $5, its a $5 step to TNC getting that valuable land.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that is soooo nice I have a 6 pack of 2 inch bnata to go
    Now when is the nasc auctions ? I also got some other extras for the NASC I could run around and get some more binata leafs in water and stuff....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is beautiful country down there. Anybody who has never seen a stand of Sarracenia in the wild before needs to make it one of their goals to do before they die. It is breathtaking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a reminder about Splinter Hill Bog. NASC should have some good news to report soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast