What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hello everybody

Some of you may already be aware of this, but if you aren't, Splinter Hill Bog is located in southern Alabama. The site is owned by The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and contains one of the last remaining intact stands of Sarracenia leucophylla in the world. There are many other CPs there including Sarracenia rosea, S. psittacina, S. flava, S. rubra, Drosera capillaris, D. intermedia, D. filiformis, D. brevifolia, Pinguicula lutea, P. planifolia, and Utricularia.

Learn more about this fantastic site here:

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northa....s/art12813.html

The Nature Conservancy has started a campaign to enlarge their landholdings in the Splinter Hill Bog Preserve by buying a crucial 40 acres.

As carnivorous plant enthusiasts and conservation-minded individuals, I hope you all will consider making a donation for this cause.

There are many ways to contribute: you can contribute directly to TNC; you can donate through your ICPS membership for matching donations by the ICPS (see more details at the link below) and...

The 2008 NASC Benefit Auction will be contributing 50% of auction proceeds (up to $1,500) to the Splinter Hill acquisition campaign!

You can read more specifics about this awesome project here:

http://icps.proboards105.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=initiatives&thread=33&page=1

Please consider foregoing that cup of Starbucks or the CD you were thinking of buying and donate to this fantastic cause. This is the type of land that is fast disappearing and if you go look at the pics, you will understand the importance of getting this land into the hands of conservationists. Just a few dollars can help...it all ADDS UP!

Spread the word and check it out!

Thank you so much for your conservation support.

-Suzanne
NASC President

We can probably use the donations as tax write offs for next year. :-D

That picture on the bog website is amazing. What an area. I would cry if it disappeared.

xvart.

Binata and capensis starter packs will be on the nasc from me :D

Awesome!

And yes the photos from that site are just incredible. Can you even imagine losing that?? It makes you sick.

If all you have to give is $5, its a $5 step to TNC getting that valuable land.

I know that is soooo nice :D I have a 6 pack of 2 inch bnata to go :D
Now when is the nasc auctions ? I also got some other extras for the NASC :)I could run around and get some more binata leafs in water and stuff....

That is beautiful country down there. Anybody who has never seen a stand of Sarracenia in the wild before needs to make it one of their goals to do before they die. It is breathtaking!

Just a reminder about Splinter Hill Bog. NASC should have some good news to report soon. :)

It would be such a shame if that was lost...I´ll see if I can donate.

Just a note in case anyone missed it...hehe...NASC donated $3,000 to land acquisition program for Splinter Hill Bog.

:D Half from the auction and half from our own funds. :woot:

I just donated 10$. Its only a little, but I hope it helps.

Following is a note from Brian Barnes, ICPS Director of Conservation:

Hello Friends,
As this year is rapidly coming to a close, let me first start off with offering a heart-felt thank you to all ICPS Members who have donated to the preservation of this remarkable bog habitat!

A special thanks goes out to the following organizations and Societies for their outstanding generosity;

The St. Louis Carnivorous Plant Society,
The Associazione Italiana Piante Carnivore,
The North American Sarracenia Conservancy.

We are currently $400.00 away from reaching our goal of $9000.00...only four hundred bucks! I'm humbly asking all who can, to please donate to the Preservation and Conservation of Splinter Hill bog and help the ICPS reach our goal.

Splinter Hill is home to one of the most diverse collections of various CP species in the US and most definitely needs to be protected in order to be shared with many future generations. Prime CP habitats such as this, are sadly being lost to bulldozers and poaching at an alarming rate...and now is our chance to "return the favor" so to speak, for the years of magic, mystery and awe these remarkable plants have given to many of us. Together, we can make this happen...

The deadline for Splinter Hill contributions is December 1, 2008. We need your help to make this dream....a reality for us all.
What an awesome Christmas gift it would be, to our beloved CP!

Donations can be made at
http://icps.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=301&club_id=203829

Thanks and Happy Growing,

Brian Barnes,
ICPS Director of Conservation.
President, The Florida Carnivorous Plant Society.

Back