What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello Friends,

It was very recently brought to my attention by a fellow ICPS Member in Port Charolotte, Fl., that a crucial area in the Florida Panhandle is being compromised...

Areas in Bay and Walton counties are being destroyed due to road widening projects. I'm researching this current alarm in fine detail and will supply more specifics and photos very soon. The project does involve draining of several fine CP habitats containing;

D. filiformis var tracyi,
S. purpurea rosea
S. flava
S. psittacina
and resulting hybrids between the above mentioned Sarracenia.

Some of these stands contain clumps of Sarracenia that are 1.5 feet in diameter, which are old well-established plants growing in prestine, untouched bogs.

Bill Boothe, a native plant enthusiast and photographer in Bristol, Fl. is rallying some volunteers to plan for a massive CP exodus. I myself will be heading there two weeks from today (May 1, 2009) which is sooner than I had planned, to assess the damage and pull some strings to rescue these remarkable plants.

I've contacted TNC and The Fl. Native Plant Society as well due to the need for immediate action. Anyone wishing to volunteer any efforts in the Fl. Panhandle in two weeks, please contact me via email to go over specifics.

Thank you!

Brian Barnes,
ICPS Director of Conservation
President of FCPS.

Great Job! Glad you're doing what you can to help.
Thanks

I would be there if I could. Are you going to relocate the plants?

Hello!

I'm am planning relocation to a few areas such as Meadowview, with special thanks to Phil Sheridan for his assistance in the matter. Also, a special thanks goes out to NASC for their offer to help!

I have "forces on the ground" in the area as we speak. I'll keep everyone updated on our successes....and possible failures. Right now, the area has been plummeted by heavy storms and tornadoes which has placed the zones under several inches of water!

Brian

If you have any extras ,I conserve ex situ at my little place in CA and share/don't sell these type plants with other members of NASC
LMO

Flytraplady,

Thank you for the generous offer! Mark Todd of NASC has given all of the plants a happy home and made accomodations for them all.

Happy Growing,

Brian.

Back