Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rhizomes at Lowes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I've not been looking close enough but I don't recall seeing "nursery propagated" on labels.
    I haven't seen you post that I recall either. Could this be a competitive sabotage or somesuch?
    It is just odd all together, doesn't seem to add up. Course, I'm prolly wrong, but still my B.S. meter is sounding off again.

Who is the company in question and have you contacted them and/or the authorities?
    Many CP's are a pain to mature, hence they are TC'd and it would be completely analogous to TC woodland plants. I would like to here why extinction versus the TC short cut makes ANY business sense. Seriously, when they're through with trilliums and such, are they going to go eliminate something else?
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, I don't really know anything about holland blubs, but i guess it would make sense. Yes I agree that an unsustainable practice such as digging up trillium would eventually decimate them, although development and strip mining don't help either. Until you post I never really considered an outside international source. It would make sense that there is some other explaination as to why they appear in the little bags of peat as rhizomes. I have heard that have been some TC advances in trillium culture but I still go back to spring ephemerals being plants that have short lived growing seasons and long dormancy periods. It doesnt make sense to me that it takes alot of time/ resources to devote to trillium growth and development to price them at only 2-3 dollars, however as you stated large scale opperations can produce thousands of plants thus reducing price....

justjack, I never really paid attention to "nursery grown vs nursery propagated" until I started working where I do. I guess its that many people are unawre / don't look at the label. Reputable nurseries will gladly tell you their propagation methods, if their website doesn't list them already as is the case with CP's...I believe a cp nursery out your way mentions their sarracenia are divisons or seed grown right on their website... The company I was questioning was "Botanical Wonders" in Dobson NC (all that info comes from the package). I havn't found any website for them, let alone information on the web. I would assume a large wholesale nursery would have a website for business reasons. I find that a little odd, no website, no contact information at all...who knows maybe I'm digging for something that isn't there. As swords said, maybe theres an outside overseas source... As for plant extinction, do people who collect wild plants for profit care about extinction? How much surveillance goes on in the woods? Why have animals been hunted to extinction? Why are we in a fisheries crisis now when the ocean is big enough to support our fishing practices? Why was CITES created in the first place? Point being some people care more about profit than conservation. Do you think that plants aren't taken from the wild anymore and sold? Sure some plants are orginally taken from the wild and used for research or breeding, but those people are generally responsible when it comes to decimation of a plant population, they know 1 plant out of say 20 represents a significant part of the gene pool. I know that wild seed is sometimes collected too, but that isn't quite the same as taking a close to a whole population of mature plants. In terms of a TC short cut, say you can mass produce TC clones of trillium, how can you get them to grow quickly when their window of growth is limited to a month or 2? They don't have the same growing window Sarracenia do. I'm not sure TC vigor applies to trillium like it does to certain cp's either. Cypripedium's are produced via tissue culture in the nursery trade. Their growing window is longer, however not all season, and a seed pod produces 1000's of seeds. It takes 4+ years to produce a sellable plant. Thus the reason they are expenisve, slow growing and hard to propagate( 8 year plants generally are over 70 dollars, 4-5 years are at least 35).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry bring back this month old thread, but in the link Celtics2008 posted earlier, I was watching the segment on floating islands and I saw a quick shot of a sarra at 51s and a whole part about planting the sarra at around 1:51 into the movie. I thought that was pretty neat. They planted it in compost, I wonder how it did?
    http://www.newfs.org/publications-an...ng-island.html

The trillium is also Ontario's provincial flower here in Canada .

Edit: on that note, S. purpurea is also the provincial flower of Newfoundland and Labrador

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12