What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. alabamensis Conservation.

The ICPS Sarracenia alabamensis Conservation Project 2010.

794620011_seVZK-XL.jpg

Above; S. alabamensis 'in situ'.

The magnificent Sarracenia alabamensis subsp. alabamensis is now at a higher threat level in 2010 than in recent years. Due to cheaper land prices which is leading to quickened land acquisition and draining of it's surrounding habitats, it's now as important as ever to do our part as carnivorous plant enthusiasts to insure it's future well-being.

794620064_WQfL5-XL.jpg

794620089_ry9aR-XL.jpg

First described by Fred and Roberta Case in June of 1971, they are known only to a few rapidly disappearing areas in central and northern Alabama. The Cases devoted their whole lives studying and researching this beautiful plant, which ultimately led to it's protection. S. alabamensis is listed as an Endangered Species and is also on Appendix 1 of the CITES list. Their remaining habitats are also constantly under threat from dense overgrowth from lack of prescribed burns and general land maintenance for these dwindling sites. Also equally important, are the maintenance of the surrounding longleaf pine ecosystems which support these areas. Their overall well-being is truly...in our hands.

S. alabamensis site before prescribed fire;
794620161_7VvTb-XL.jpg

794621624_LcHnj-XL.jpg

After prescribed fire;
794622406_qqkG4-XL.jpg

We need your help. If we pull together as a team, we can help to preserve these rare remarkable plants for our future generations. Please visit the ICPS homepage to donate to this most worthy cause.

www.carnivorousplants.org

Also as an added bonus, donatees which donate $350.00 or more (min. 3) will receive "The Splinter Hill Night in the Bog" Package which includes;

1) A full-day guided CP tour of Splinter Hill Reserve led by myself and Keith Tassin, Science Steward for TNC. Truly the "mecca" for 5 species of Sarracenia and many other CP species, you'll be blown away by the prestine unspoiled CP and their habitats. You'll definitely want to bring your camera for this one!

2) A one nights stay at the research facility house deep within the Reserve with all of the comforts of home, including a seafood boil and barbeque. After dinner, they'll be a slideshow lecture by myself on CP Conservation, followed by a lecture on prescribed fire and CP land maintenance by Keith. Then, it's off to the massive S. leucophylla stands which surround the house for "A Walk amongst the Sarrs" at dusk. And the moonlight does make every single one of them glow!

Also, imagine waking to have your coffee or tea, closely surrounded by Sarracenia colonies as far as the eye can see. The extra-large screened- in viewing area makes it a reality.

746319047_hBN3E-XL.jpg

Persons interested in the "A Night in the Bog" Conservational package must contact me by no later than March 25th, 2010. Event will take place in mid-May, 2010.

All participants will be responsible for all transportation to and from the site and lodging prior to the event.

A sneak peek at what one may encounter at "A night in the Bog" can be found here;

http://bbproductions.smugmug.com/Ca...Splinter-Hill-1/8474299_NWTXj#557334532_ijVbY

All monies donated to the ICPS S. alabamensis Project will go towards the maintenance and conservation of these remarkable plants and their habitats.

Thanks for your help!

Brian Barnes,
ICPS Director of Conservation.​

HOLY SMOKES!

that is quite amazing.

Hello Friends,

Mission accomplished! :)

I've just returned recently from an incredible journey through central Alabama, then down to Splinter Hill Preserve, then onwards to the fantastic Drosera filiformis'Florida red' sites in northern Fl. Again, I was impressed at the stewardship of TNC in maintaining the S. alabamensis sites and their continuing efforts at Splinter Hill Preserve.

The ICPS fully supports TNC and their conservational endeavors in the two forementioned Alabama sites, thanks to the donations from our wonderful ICPS Members! My goal from this trip was to film and photograph the S. alabamensis sites and part two of the Splinter Hill Preserve Experience. I firmly believe in a "hands-on" approach, in order to show our Members their conservational donations at work!
Withs TONS of video footage and photos to edit, I better get busy. But here's a few samples of things to come... ;)

Every dollar counts. Please donate to the ICPS Conservational fund of your choice by visiting our link here;

http://icps.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?p...;club_id=203829

Stay tuned for more.

Brian Barnes,
ICPS Director of Conservation

Now for some samples from the trip...

A VERY dangerous affair...
888462632_bH8zG-XL.jpg

S. alabamensis, tagged and safe in a freshly burned environment.
888462643_CheFG-XL.jpg

S. alabamensis...alive and well!
888462617_LpqRs-XL.jpg

And to finish things up; A Florida filiformis sunset!
888462601_WaqKB-XL.jpg

WOW that first pic is one of those once in a lifetime shots.

Can't wait to get back down to the gulf coast again.

What will the NASC be doing with the auction winnings for the cause?

Back