What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Television documentary in production

Hi all,

As well as being a lifelong cp enthusiast, I am a university professor and a film/television/video producer. I'm currently at work on a project that will almost certainly make its way onto the UNC-TV system (North Carolina's PBS network) and, hopefully, to a larger audience on the PBS national network. The subject of the documentary is North Carolina's Green Swamp. The documentary will be taking a serious look at the fauna and flora found there, including all of the cp you might expect to see, and is going to emphasize the threatened nature that this important wetland ecosystem is suffering.

Ozzy, a member on this forum, and Dr. Larry Mellichamp are already on-board as consultants for the project.

I'm posting this because there seems to be some interest in this early stage to expand the project to a much broader approach. While this first project will focus solely on the Green Swamp, there are many other endangered wetlands and ecosystems around the USA that would be worthy subjects.

I'm curious to see what other areas around the country people on this forum might suggest for documentary coverage. These ecosystems would have to be large enough to warrant a 60-minute production. Already in consideration is the Okeefenokee Swamp in Georgia and the Everglades. The areas do not have to support carnivorous plants (though they might) and they do not have to be wetlands necessarily. The broader focus being considered is "endangered ecosystems in the USA."

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Oz

We have a bog up here in Northwestern Washington that is one of the remaining representations of what the north western US (in particular, Washington State) was once covered in, its a pristine, gorgeous landscape which i will not disclose the location of without getting to know and trust the person first...i was honored with the location when i was taken there by a good friend of mine, and will respect his wishes to not disclose this info. It is nestled perfectly between several mountains creating a "basin" of sorts, and is what is remnants of an old glacial flow. The land scape of the bog itself is a good sized lake, with a large sphagnum mat surrounding the entire thing, made of several species of sphagnum and blanketed in gorgeous D. rotundifolia.
Photos can be found here, and on another note, i will be making another trip to this bog in the next few days to see how it has done since my last visit, it is pretty hard to access, and even harder to find due to its location, and very few people know of its location....
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118321

I hope the documentary pulls through for you, i cant wait to see it.

Coastal Northern California and Oregon comes to mind, with its stands of Darlingtonia and Drosera species . . .

if anyone tries to sell you on the "endangered northern plains prairie", they are full of crap......seems to be the latest movement to take a whole lot of land away from hunters and ranchers and really doesnt hold water.....the prairie isnt endangered, infact its already protected in quite a few places and managed correctly in a whole lot of others.....its recently become a big deal in north central Montana, lot of do gooder south Cali types that have never spent any time in the wilderness think they need to save something that is doing fine without them....

however i wish you well on the wetlands project, i have donated alot of money to Ducks Unlimited that spends alot of money on our shrinking prairie pothole ecosystems which are about as close to wetlands as we have out here.....

rattler - im not sure who you were directing that at, but up here in Washington, especially western washington, true sphagnum bogs or wetlands in general that have been left untouched are really hard to come by...the one list that shows sphagnum bogs here in Washington, is about 90% written over with the words developed, drained, etc on them. its really quite depressing.

was responding to this:
The areas do not have to support carnivorous plants (though they might) and they do not have to be wetlands necessarily. The broader focus being considered is "endangered ecosystems in the USA."

seems one of the new popular causes for ppl that have no time to support is the "endangered prairie", have read articles in several magazines......as someone who actually has spent most of their life on the ground they claim is in trouble, im assuring you it is most definatly not......the cause is being pushed through by antihunters that have decided that if they can not out law hunting they will just make land you can hunt on darn hard to find.....

i have no doubt your wetlands are in trouble, as i said i have given alot of money to the group that is trying to save what we have for wetlands.....was just commenting on the latest fad by do gooders that dont have to live with the results nor live in the area and havee a true understanding of the ecosystem.....

ah that makes sense rattler - i agree 100% with you there now that i understand it haha.

Back