User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S. oreophila on Ebay, once again...

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petmantis View Post
    Interesting... could've sworn it included seeds. Good thing tho, now seeds can be ordered with ease

But that still leaves phytosanitary regulations, with the seeds having to be clean for inspection. Unless that has changed as well
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...ots_seed.shtml
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    Cites excludes seeds, so getting it to the border isn't a problem. I'm not sure even sure if the law prevents it from going across state lines if it's directly from another country.
    Seeds are only excluded under some Appendix II and III species. Sarracenia oreophilla is listed under Appendix I which covers all parts and derivatives of the plant. CITES is an international treaty so you cannot get them into the US or other country that is a member of the treaty without permits. And regardless of the origin of the seeds the Endangered Species Act in the US prohibits sales or trades without permits across state lines.

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa-li...ESA_basics.pdf

When a species is included in one of the Appendices, all parts and derivatives of the species are also included in the same Appendix unless the species is annotated to indicate that only specific parts and derivatives are included. The symbol # followed by a number placed against the name of a species or higher taxon included in Appendix II or III refers to a footnote that indicates the parts or derivatives of plants that are designated as 'specimens' subject to the provisions of the Convention in accordance with Article I, paragraph (b), subparagraph (iii)..
    http://www.cites.org/eng/app/interpret.shtml
    Appendix I lists species that are the most endangered among CITES-listed animals and plants (see Article II, paragraph 1 of the Convention). They are threatened with extinction and CITES prohibits international trade in specimens of these species except when the purpose of the import is not commercial (see Article III), for instance for scientific research. In these exceptional cases, trade may take place provided it is authorized by the granting of both an import permit and an export permit (or re-export certificate). Article VII of the Convention provides for a number of exemptions to this general prohibition.
    http://www.cites.org/eng/app/index.shtml
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Seeds are only excluded under some Appendix II and III species. Sarracenia oreophilla is listed under Appendix I which covers all parts and derivatives of the plant. CITES is an international treaty so you cannot get them into the US or other country that is a member of the treaty without permits. And regardless of the origin of the seeds the Endangered Species Act in the US prohibits sales or trades without permits across state lines.

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/esa-li...ESA_basics.pdf
    Thanks NaN for clearing this up. I was wondering why seed would be exempt, but this clarifies it.
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 All parts and derivatives, except:
    a) seeds, spores and pollen (including pollinia);
    b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;
    c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants; and
    d) fruits, and parts and derivatives thereof, of artificially propagated plants of the genus Vanilla.
    Unless I'm interpreting this wrong, even on appendix I seeds can be traded.

Edit: Wait, nevermind, oreophila specifically doesn't have any footnotes. Guess I'm just tired, I thought it had a one.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never trust ebay from my experience. The people enjoy scamming you. In fact once someone was selling nepenthes edwadsiana there.
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sad, it makes me mad at the thought of it. I wish people would obey the law for once.
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, I'm not clear on this whole CITES thing. Total newb, I know.
    I purchased an S. oreophila in Oregon, from an Oregon seller. Do I need any special paperwork?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucanidae View Post
    Wait, I'm not clear on this whole CITES thing. Total newb, I know.
    I purchased an S. oreophila in Oregon, from an Oregon seller. Do I need any special paperwork?
    No you don't.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12