Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Save Water RO Owners!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save Water RO Owners!

These pictures show my RO unit and what I did to capture all the "waste" water. We use it to water our regular plants.

5 gallons of RO water produce almost 30 gallons of "waste" so the catch is significant. It is work, but I'm saving resources! Just think. With the stock RO system: if you used 100 gallons of RO water, you're wasting around 500 gallons of regular water! That's 600 gallons to produce 100 gallons of usable water. If you figure out how to save your waste water...even feeding a pond. You could have a great pond with all the water! There's no chlorine so it's probably safe for the fish.

Here goes. First there was the box:

So I installed the main unit:

Then there was the tricky part. We have this adjoining cabinet, so I ran the line there. I used a metal detector to locate all the plumbing. then aimed and drilled a 1" hole to the outdoors. I ruined the hole saw going through the stucco but had the hole. I placed a 1/2" pipe through the gap in the wall, caulked it on the outside part, and used the glue gun on the cabinet. I had a little leak when I turned the unit on so it's a bit wet in the picture:

Here's what it looked like going out of the house and into the Brute:

Oh, I made that nifty bucket clip too. Here is the water pouring in:

In conclusion, a little labor enabled us to save a great amount of water. We don't use the hose anymore! The trashcan is great for hand washing and whenever you need a large amount of water fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already do this too! Mine is not an under the sink unit though and I have it set up outside. I can move it to where ever I want. Very similar in look to your unit. My unit seams to be quit a bit more efficent though. I can run about 10 gallons of RO water to 30 gals waste. It will improve slightly when using luke warm water.

Also have you tested the waste water? I use mine on plants too but my tap water is under 100PPM before RO. Some areas water quality my not let you use the waste water, as it will lead to toxic build up and kill plants. I know in the bay area you can have water that is 300-400PPM out the tap. As with anything you should test it before making the full leap, and if you can use your waste water I urge you to do so.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only use my waste water to flush toilets....it's nearly 300ppm and I don't feel comfortable watering anything with it.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GREAT Job!

My tap water is like 506 ppm. The waste water is around 600.

Exo, not comfortable watering with 300 ppms? Ha! I do double that!

Anyway, I'm just excited that others are doing the same. Seemed such a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Frilleon View Post
    I already do this too! Mine is not an under the sink unit though and I have it set up outside. I can move it to where ever I want. Very similar in look to your unit. My unit seams to be quit a bit more efficent though. I can run about 10 gallons of RO water to 30 gals waste. It will improve slightly when using luke warm water.

Also have you tested the waste water? I use mine on plants too but my tap water is under 100PPM before RO. Some areas water quality my not let you use the waste water, as it will lead to toxic build up and kill plants. I know in the bay area you can have water that is 300-400PPM out the tap. As with anything you should test it before making the full leap, and if you can use your waste water I urge you to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my water right out of the tap is 50 to 60 ppm, so I water all my orchids with it and it seems to have no adverse effects on them, was thinking of getting a RO unit, do you think its necessary ? I use rain water on my cps, but at times it would be nice to just turn on the faucet and go.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my greenhouses I have 60ft of 3/8" hose that I move around the yard to water the grass and trees. =) That said, I also adjust my brine rate down to approx 3.5:1-- the membranes I use seem to take it just fine, the ones I'm using right now are a couple years old and still doing great jobs.

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL I beat you all! My water comes out at 500-600ppm from the tap! My RO unit brings it down to 3-4ppm, and I don't even want to know about the waste-water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yayyyy for 24ppm tap water.....nuff said

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast