These pictures show my RO unit and what I did to capture all the "waste" water. We use it to water our regular plants.
5 gallons of RO water produce almost 30 gallons of "waste" so the catch is significant. It is work, but I'm saving resources! Just think. With the stock RO system: if you used 100 gallons of RO water, you're wasting around 500 gallons of regular water! That's 600 gallons to produce 100 gallons of usable water. If you figure out how to save your waste water...even feeding a pond. You could have a great pond with all the water! There's no chlorine so it's probably safe for the fish.
Here goes. First there was the box:
So I installed the main unit:
Then there was the tricky part. We have this adjoining cabinet, so I ran the line there. I used a metal detector to locate all the plumbing. then aimed and drilled a 1" hole to the outdoors. I ruined the hole saw going through the stucco but had the hole. I placed a 1/2" pipe through the gap in the wall, caulked it on the outside part, and used the glue gun on the cabinet. I had a little leak when I turned the unit on so it's a bit wet in the picture:
Here's what it looked like going out of the house and into the Brute:
Oh, I made that nifty bucket clip too. Here is the water pouring in:
In conclusion, a little labor enabled us to save a great amount of water. We don't use the hose anymore! The trashcan is great for hand washing and whenever you need a large amount of water fast.