What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who cares about VA pitcher plants?

Hi Folks:

Thanks for the great show of support! In answer to one of the questions, the bog we are going to lease houses the northern most population of Sarracenia purpurea in Virginia, just a few hundred meters from our operations center at Meadowview. The population has declined from 10 plants in 1990 to two in 2010. We intervened several years ago to clear brush and prevented the population from going completely extinct. Average purple pitcher plant population size in Virginia is 8 plants. So.. you can see, and I predicted this in my dissertation, that we are going to lose all our native pitcher plant sites in Virginia. There are a number of reasons for this upcoming extinction, AND IT IS PREVENTABLE, but only if we have control of the property to properly manage and restore the site.

The great thing about this natural pitcher plant population near Meadowview is that it is so close by that our logistics for doing the restoration work become much simpler. We have a plan for purchasing all the properties to this bog which will give us a fabulous nature trail.

This winter we will be doing a lot of clearing work in these bogs. If you are interested in helping out you can actually come and stay at the research station. We have two bedrooms, one occupied by our present intern. Contact me if you are interested in volunteering to help with restoration work over the winter.

Also, you can read more about our Central Virginia Pitcher Plant Preserve by going to our web site (www.pitcherplant.org), clicking on the newsletter link, and reading the 2009 newsletter.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan, Ph.D.
Director
Meadowview Biological
Research Station

Wow, I wasn't aware the purpurea population there was in that much trouble. I wish the best of luck to you and your team in helping to preserve this beautiful plant!

@ upwhiz
Sorry I rarely look at this part of the forum. I go to school in lexington. It's kind of in the western part of VA

Survey Results - Who cares about VA pitcher plants?

Hi Folks:

The survey results are in from the list serve, Terraforums, and the ICPS Forum on "Who cares about pitcher plants in Virginia?" Specifically, this was the question posed by the owner of the northern most S. purpurea bog in VA. The site is down to 2 plants and we are working on renting/purchasing/restoring the site and surrounding property. The answer: 30 individuals from around the world voted that they care. If anybody else would like to state they care please drop me an e-mail or state so publicly on one of these forums.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan, Ph.D.
Director
Meadowview Biological
Research Station

:wave:
I most certainly care!

Not too sure how I missed this thread but count me in! I care.

Why not attempt another auction, like the yearly NASC auction, to help raise funds to pay for the lease of this location? I don't think any donation in this situation would be too small... Just a thought...

I care. We need to preserve the Habitats of our beloved CP's.

I care.. but would care even more if I saw :pics:

Va Pitchers

Hi French3z:

An action fund raiser to pay for the lease is an excellent idea but we are not set up for this sort of thing. Our fund raising has occurred through plant sales from our catalog, memberships, and general donations. I'm open to ideas.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan
Meadowview

I vote twice that i care.

I care about this CP site, and forwarded an email about this composed by Walterg to all the NECPS members!

As a member of Earth's living population, I care about any and all wetlands or bogs whether they contain insectivorous plants or not. Count me in!

I love the work that you're doing and I wish I lived closer, I would drop out of college and restore that bog with all my heart.

Got that NECPS email, and wanted to say I care!

I already said in email, but-

I CARE!!!!!!!!!!!

Back