User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who cares about VA pitcher plants?

Come To The Light. . . JB in Utah's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meadowview rocks! I think that Phil is doing what most of us wish we could, he teaches people about CPs and he grows CPs in order to re-introduce them one day into struggling and former CP sites. Don't mistake me, introducing CPs into the wild can have dire consequences (especially when invasive non-native species are introduced) and should not be done by just anyone. But Phil has devoted so much of his time and research to save these awesome plants and sites and I do care about what he's doing -- that's why I'm proud to be one of Meadowview's sponsors. Good luck Phil!
    I should say something witty or remarkable but that would only prove my worth to society. To that I say meh!

The List That Grows. . . Utah Members Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    I'll be back around mid July next year if anyone wants to join me. It would be nice to meet some of you in person and what better place than at the sarracenia mecca which is Meadowview!
    Maybe! I was just thinking of asking my dad to change vacations plans to include Meadowview. Whether it was on the way down or back, it would likely be a weekend-day (Fri.Sat.Sun)
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go to college in VA and I hope to make a trip this year. Last year not having a car kept me from going but hopefully that will change this year and I'll get to see the plants next spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neps_N_Things View Post
    I go to college in VA and I hope to make a trip this year. Last year not having a car kept me from going but hopefully that will change this year and I'll get to see the plants next spring.
    I'll drive , let me know when, we'll ride share if its not too far out of the way .
    where you going to college ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks:

Thanks for the great show of support! In answer to one of the questions, the bog we are going to lease houses the northern most population of Sarracenia purpurea in Virginia, just a few hundred meters from our operations center at Meadowview. The population has declined from 10 plants in 1990 to two in 2010. We intervened several years ago to clear brush and prevented the population from going completely extinct. Average purple pitcher plant population size in Virginia is 8 plants. So.. you can see, and I predicted this in my dissertation, that we are going to lose all our native pitcher plant sites in Virginia. There are a number of reasons for this upcoming extinction, AND IT IS PREVENTABLE, but only if we have control of the property to properly manage and restore the site.

The great thing about this natural pitcher plant population near Meadowview is that it is so close by that our logistics for doing the restoration work become much simpler. We have a plan for purchasing all the properties to this bog which will give us a fabulous nature trail.

This winter we will be doing a lot of clearing work in these bogs. If you are interested in helping out you can actually come and stay at the research station. We have two bedrooms, one occupied by our present intern. Contact me if you are interested in volunteering to help with restoration work over the winter.

Also, you can read more about our Central Virginia Pitcher Plant Preserve by going to our web site (www.pitcherplant.org), clicking on the newsletter link, and reading the 2009 newsletter.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan, Ph.D.
    Director
    Meadowview Biological
    Research Station

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i care

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I wasn't aware the purpurea population there was in that much trouble. I wish the best of luck to you and your team in helping to preserve this beautiful plant!
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ upwhiz
    Sorry I rarely look at this part of the forum. I go to school in lexington. It's kind of in the western part of VA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast