What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Conservation (intermedia, rotundifolia)

So.. I've been saving all of my LFS proceeds for the last couple of months for this cause. After saving up $150 I bribed my buddy to stop mowing his foot path on the North East end of the bog. I really wanted this place to be able to grow to it's full potential. After 2 months of constant rain, sunshine, and growing.. this is what it looks like.

IMG_5871.jpg

IMG_5872.jpg

Freshly grown LFS

IMG_5869.jpg

D. intermedia

IMG_5864.jpg

IMG_5866.jpg

IMG_5867.jpg

IMG_5878.jpg

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

D. rotundifolia

IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_5875.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

IMG_5870.jpg

Cool guy chillin' on the car when I returned.

IMG_5880.jpg

That's just spectacular!!! So great that your buddy finally stopped mowing...it's so gorgeous :love: So dewy, so red...with such lush green moss...hopefully you don't gotta keep paying him off.

Amazing. I still get surprised by the D. rotundifolia popping up in your moss from time to time :lol: Even got some that are already trying to flower on me.

Beautiful! If he needs to have a path there, maybe he could build a raised walkway. It's a little costly but if built right they can last a very long time, and because it keeps the ground from being trampled it protects against compaction and degradation. Plus it'd keep your boots from getting muddy and look really cool too.
~Joe

Great shots! Is that the only place these grow is on the foot path?

Great shots! Is that the only place these grow is on the foot path?

Hey thanks! They actually grow as far as the eye can see. They are just more abundant on the path.

The interesting thing is that mowing this area might be contributing to a more abundant population of drosera. When mowing you area actual removing competing plants that could very well be blocking sunlight and suffocating the plants.

Very nice looking plants.

I was actually thinking that same thing, Michael.
~Joe

So was I.. that and I was thinking the cut up dews could be propagating themselves on the moist LFS.

So...you bribed your bud with the money you got selling LFSM you found on HIS land?

Did you take those pics with your Kodak?

Anyway, I'm delighted to see a nice looking bog!

So...you bribed your bud with the money you got selling LFS you found on HIS land?

Did you take those pics with your Kodak?

Anyway, I'm delighted to see a nice looking bog!

:lol: YEAH!! He's the one that said take whatever I want. So I tried to figure out a way to see whatever I want grow and grow. Well.. what would you do? ??? It was heart breaking to see dews starting to grow on the path just to find them diced up the following week. Besides, he's still got the front section of the trails going.

Nope, the Kodak has been retired. I took these with my new Canon. I really need to sit down and read how to use it properly.

The interesting thing is that mowing this area might be contributing to a more abundant population of drosera. When mowing you area actual removing competing plants that could very well be blocking sunlight and suffocating the plants.

Very nice looking plants.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. The mowing is eliminating the competition and allowing more light to the ground huggers, kind of like a replacement for wild fires.

Perhaps you should bribe him to mow different sections of the bog each year. LOL.

I am yet to see Cps in the wild. :(

Great shots Mass!

Last edited:
This is so interesting, I am having some awesome moments reading these Mass.

Back