Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meadowview Finds in Surry, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meadowview Finds in Surry, VA

We're turning up a lot of interesting, possible very rare finds in this new area that we have access to in Surry, VA. Last week we found red milkweed, a yet-to-be-identified dwarf golden sphagnum moss, and a black tiger beetle, possibly Cicindela abdominalis, which is very rare in this state. I'll post all of our findings on this thread as they come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dwarf golden sphagnum moss.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're planning on cultivating it, for that very reason. There was quite a bit of it. It's so compact that it doesn't look like sphagnum from a distance. We could use some help IDing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks:

Very busy summer for us. The interns are in full immersion with the intern program and are doing some very solid, original, field work in southern Virginia. We have access to almost 3000 acres of hunt club land in Surry County, VA with specific permission to search for, and obtain specimens of, rare plants. No botanist has ever been on this property and we have already turned up at least five state rare plant species. The golden sphagnum is quite interesting and we should be posting some pictures soon.

Keep your fingers crossed and wish us luck finding a pitcher plant population. A small population of S. purpurea was reported on this watershed in the 1980's but has apparently been extirpated. We're hoping we can find one remaining population somewhere on this system. It's tough work with high heat, lots of ticks, and the swelling yellow jacket hives we'll soon run into.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan, Ph.D.
    Director
    Meadowview Biological
    Research Station

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil, I've used a couple of repellants in extremely tick-infested areas before, you probably know of them already but: permethrin insect repellants for the clothes work a couple of weeks with washings, duranon works the same way and I used to use something called Tick Defender but can't seem to find it anywhere anymore... I use the clothing repellants on outer clothing & boots with Off on socks, boxer waist bands, hats & skin and I've gotten through some serious tick land with nothing. That combo & thermacel's work great for mosquitos too!
    And you Know I want some of that Golden Spag!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the sound of those repellents, especially after finding several in unwanted areas. More fieldwork on Friday, hopefully something good shows up.
    We'll be milling the golden shag soon, maybe tomorrow. I'm working on editing the photos right now, so expect to see it soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nifty read on the subject, should help you guys quite a bit!
    Department of Defense Insect Repellent System
    Permethrin is NOT hazardous to get on the skin, it just stops working is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Quogue:

I have been aware of the 0.5% permethrin products as an excellent defense against ticks. However, we had a devil of a time finding Repel or Duranon. I called Gander Mountain today and they had Ultrathon (0.5% permethrin), we bought it, and our clothes are now treated. I liked the military system of insect defense which makes perfect sense. I did not see that the militarty document said permethrin was inactivated by the skin, although I have read elsewhere that skin oils do exactly that. However, I don't think I would want to put permethrin on my skin regardless.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan
    Mreadowview

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast