Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Major seed poaching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chibae it's not fraud that would be taking the $$ for Nep seed and actually sending craft items. What this intentionally mislabeling contents on a customs form is, is called smuggling and is what garners someone far higher fines than the initial crime of receiving seeds without a permit. Which is the only crime for US customers - they need a seed importation permit. When the package is mislabeled however, then it becomes far more serious.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Chibae it's not fraud that would be taking the $$ for Nep seed and actually sending craft items. What this intentionally mislabeling contents on a customs form is, is called smuggling and is what garners someone far higher fines than the initial crime of receiving seeds without a permit. Which is the only crime for US customers - they need a seed importation permit. When the package is mislabeled however, then it becomes far more serious.
    Thank you, for correcting that for me. BTW..I did report this seller to ebay, but it was about the offer to intentionally mislead authorties, not about cites or poaching.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I am of two minds about the whole issue, since I know of people in Southeast Asia who have routinely collected seed from sites that were either eventually lost to logging, housing developments, or to the building of lavish resorts for Westerners. Seedpods of many species -- orchids in particular and some Nepenthes -- can yield upwards of ten thousand plants in a commercial setting; whereas, the tiniest fraction of that seed-set (typically seen in the single digits) ever reaches maturity in the wild, due to competition, grazing, disturbance -- any number of factors.
    The person is completely commercial. You don't take 15,000 seeds because you want to spread the joy around and help the species survive.

And what the listing says is also worth mentioning: "HARVESTED IN MAY 2011 - stored in refrigerator"

Lowland seeds stored for three months in the refrigerator. Forget the 40-50 plants, at the low end, that might have survived to adult hood... Almost zero chance any will even germinate now.

I might be wrong about CITES, but there are still several reasons the listings are illegal. And I'm sure you can all agree that what this person is doing is wrong.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    And what the listing says is also worth mentioning: "HARVESTED IN MAY 2011 - stored in refrigerator"

Lowland seeds stored for three months in the refrigerator. Forget the 40-50 plants, at the low end, that might have survived to adult hood... Almost zero chance any will even germinate now.

I might be wrong about CITES, but there are still several reasons the listings are illegal. And I'm sure you can all agree that what this person is doing is wrong.
    With all due respect, that is not entirely correct. I have stored a number of lowland seeds of Nepenthes and other tropical species under refrigeration (generally in film containers with silica gel dessicants), often for months at a time; and I have had no problems whatsoever with any lack of germination. Keep in mind that human embryos are often stored in liquid nitrogen at -196˚C (Tbs we're certainly unable to survive). What I will agree with though, is that potentially lying on Customs declarations, is a far more idiotic pursuit than trading in any "suspect" seed.

Further, if the seed were collected on private lands (and we honestly do not know of the actual circumstances), then there is no harm done; and I have known people near the Oregon border who have had huge stands of Darlingtonia on their acreage and thought to sell them to growers rather than allow the deer to decimate them (as they regularly do) . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    correct me if im wrong but i do believe the Nepenthes edwardsiana that were released in the last year or so were not from a legal source.....be interested to know if those on their high horse bout this wild collected seed would turn down an eddy offered to them?......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My high horse is only about the seller stating that they will aid in smuggling by labeling the seeds as something else.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not want to risk getting these mislabled to hide what's really in the package. Trust me on this one.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wasnt commenting on the labeling, was commenting on the "poaching".....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast