Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Major seed poaching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's beyond reasonable doubt... he SAYS he wild collected them, and he SAYS he'll mark them to fool customs, and the listings themselves of 15,000 seeds shows that he's selling them for personal gain. If that isn't "Guilty", I don't know what is.
    Wait... nowhere in there do I see the words "Wild collected". The customs statement... well, sometimes customs gets incredibly finicky about the interpretation of the law. I once had a package destroyed because it said 'fur' in the declaration of contents. Nevermind that the word was immediately preceded by the qualifier 'fake'.

Do you think that the poached the other 520 transactions that he's done via eBay?

I mean, you could be right and this guy could be a poacher, but I don't think that you have enough information to make that decision.

Just saying.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know the seller doesn't have a permit to collect and sell the seed? Maybe you don't even need a permit, I have no idea what the laws are in Indonesia.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "NEPENTHES BICALCARATA 'RED'
    Collect from Western Borneo ( Kalimantan )
    - 15.000+ SEEDS -

HARVESTED IN MAY 2011 - stored in refrigerator

Genuine and FRESH GUARRANTED direct from INDONESIA ( the heaven of Nepenthes )

"I DO NOT HELD ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU SEEDS SEIZE/CONFISCATED/DESTROY BY YOUR COUNTRY'S CUSTOM !

BUT DON'T WORRY, I WILL DECLARE THIS ITEM AS CRAFTING MATERIAL SO IT WILL PASS THE CUSTOM ( IT WORKS TO USA AND ALMOST COUNTRIES"

I'm amazed that people think this guy is being legal. At the very, very, least, even by the extremely remote chance he "has a permit", he is mass shipping seeds without proper documentation. At the very least.

And yes, all his listings say "collected from ____", so I do think they're all poached... unless he just happens to have property with mature plants in 40 different locations in Indonesia.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, nobody said that he was legal; they just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod
    And yes, all his listings say "collected from ____", so I do think they're all poached... unless he just happens to have property with mature plants in 40 different locations in Indonesia.
    I highly doubt that somebody in Indonesia would take the time to go to 40 different locations just to get seed, trust me, I'm Indonesian, and it's really hard to get by here and there. He could just own the plants as well, since his climate is the "land of nepenthes" then his plants must be really well grown. Even if it is illegal to poach seeds in Indonesia, it's a corrupted country - he could easily bribe the people who found him while he was poaching and just continue on his merry way. As for shipping out of his country - that's his deal, illegal or not, but if it is successful, then it's on the shoulders of the person who ordered from wherever country.

I highly doubt somebody would buy 15,000 seeds for 550$.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am only talking about what I know for sure. I know of a $2500 fine for the buyer(box instead of envelope, though) and it could have gone uo to 10K.

Cheers,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by The Griffin View Post
    You do not want to risk getting these mislabled to hide what's really in the package. Trust me on this one.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole enterprise sounds kind of seedy.

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought 50 mirablis var etchinostoma from him...
    Man, I just sowed the seeds today. I feel so bad
    His name in Jan Medan or something like that right??
    Last edited by lance; 08-17-2011 at 06:41 PM.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I always look at the seed offers on ebay and I can't remember the name of the seller but it said "I don't dig up plants but I take cuttings and pitchers for propagation and example" this is why so many species of nepenthes are endangered since a cutting for him is probably cutting a large section of of the vine. Personally I feel it's wrong to take seeds but cutting and harming mature plants is just taking it too far Especially since many species are relatively inexpensive and widely available. This kind of thing just makes me wonder why these people can't get in any trouble for poaching or something!!
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast