What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr introduction question

So I'm still pretty new and don't fully understand or know the in's and out's of what's what with this topic. My buddy that owns the sphagnum bog where I hang out would like to see purps on his property. He asked me today if I could plant some in the bog. I thought it would be a good idea for me to run it by the community before I did anything. Thoughts, concerns, OPINIONS are welcome. ;)

In my opinion, if you were to do that, seeds or very young seedlings would be the best way to go. You'd know for sure that the survivors are adapted to the conditions of the bog, and it would increase the genetic variability. Even with that though, it might not be such a good idea... it could really mess with the gene pool of neighboring areas.

Just IMO, I'm sure others will speak theirs.

... it could really mess with the gene pool of neighboring areas.

The bog is a 10 acrea area.. all under his ownership. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, just saying.

I also want to add that that purpureas are native to this area. And totally should be growing here.. but aren't. Lot's of droseras, but no sarrs.

Last edited:
I think what silenceisgod is saying is that not all purps are created equal, at least not genetically.

If its native then it should be ok for the gene pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
are there any native purpurea in the vicinity of his property? safest bet is to collect seed of those native purpurea, grow those out, then reintroduced the seedlings back in. this would prevent "foreign" genetic material from polluting the native population there. is there any way you could legally acquire such seed?

that also adds the question, how do you know that the purpurea should be growing there? is there some sort of historical documentation that supports that purpurea used to live in this bog? just want to make sure...

that being said, there's the capitalist, "it's my land and i can do whatever the hax i want with it" mentality, and as far as i know, he does have that right. which just throws my opinions out the window. just my two, pitiful, cents.

The thing is that not all populations are similar genetically, even if the same species.

I guess it would depend on how isolated these new purps would be...JMO too and Im sure others have theirs as well ;)

There are no sarracenia of any kind on the land, or near by. I say they "should" be there because it's the perfect habitat for them and I wanna cry not seeing them there. :lol:
So to answer your questions.. no, nothing to collect seed from. Nothing there before now, and no clue on how to go about doing this. Or even if I should..

Are purps native to that county?

What county are you in? I worked Michigan over enough for Stewart that I have most of it memorized. If I can't remember it I can always double check our very thorough maps.

What county are you in? I worked Michigan over enough for Stewart that I have most of it memorized. If I can't remember it I can always double check our very thorough maps.

Not to hijack the thread, but could you also check oakland country? I'd love to find a purp area.

They're in Oakland. I don't remember if they're still there or not, but I know that they're at least historical there.

They are definitely native to Oakland County. I used to live in OC for many years and know of at least a dozen bogs that are loaded with purps and rotundifolia.

I would just do it Mass. Northern purps are so plentiful in Michigan that I really don't believe you're going tip the gene pool scale by introducing more native plants to a state that already has a ton of them. These will just be closer to home. Just my 2 cents…

They are definitely native to Oakland County. I used to live in OC for many years and know of at least a dozen bogs that are loaded with purps and rotundifolia.

I would just do it Mass. Northern purps are so plentiful in Michigan that I really don't believe you're going tip the gene pool scale by introducing more native plants to a state that already has a ton of them. These will just be closer to home. Just my 2 cents…

If you can, I would really appreciate the location of a few... I've been looking everywhere for one.

The northern states are in very good shape with their bogs and wetlands, unlike the Southeast.

I agree with Fred P. Just plant them.

We need to know what county he's in first.

Back