Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarr introduction question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarr introduction question

So I'm still pretty new and don't fully understand or know the in's and out's of what's what with this topic. My buddy that owns the sphagnum bog where I hang out would like to see purps on his property. He asked me today if I could plant some in the bog. I thought it would be a good idea for me to run it by the community before I did anything. Thoughts, concerns, OPINIONS are welcome.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, if you were to do that, seeds or very young seedlings would be the best way to go. You'd know for sure that the survivors are adapted to the conditions of the bog, and it would increase the genetic variability. Even with that though, it might not be such a good idea... it could really mess with the gene pool of neighboring areas.

Just IMO, I'm sure others will speak theirs.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    ... it could really mess with the gene pool of neighboring areas.
    The bog is a 10 acrea area.. all under his ownership. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, just saying.

I also want to add that that purpureas are native to this area. And totally should be growing here.. but aren't. Lot's of droseras, but no sarrs.
    Last edited by mass; 08-02-2011 at 08:18 PM.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what silenceisgod is saying is that not all purps are created equal, at least not genetically.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its native then it should be ok for the gene pool.
    Last edited by adnedarn; 08-04-2011 at 04:49 PM.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are there any native purpurea in the vicinity of his property? safest bet is to collect seed of those native purpurea, grow those out, then reintroduced the seedlings back in. this would prevent "foreign" genetic material from polluting the native population there. is there any way you could legally acquire such seed?

that also adds the question, how do you know that the purpurea should be growing there? is there some sort of historical documentation that supports that purpurea used to live in this bog? just want to make sure...

that being said, there's the capitalist, "it's my land and i can do whatever the hax i want with it" mentality, and as far as i know, he does have that right. which just throws my opinions out the window. just my two, pitiful, cents.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is that not all populations are similar genetically, even if the same species.

I guess it would depend on how isolated these new purps would be...JMO too and Im sure others have theirs as well
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no sarracenia of any kind on the land, or near by. I say they "should" be there because it's the perfect habitat for them and I wanna cry not seeing them there.
    So to answer your questions.. no, nothing to collect seed from. Nothing there before now, and no clue on how to go about doing this. Or even if I should..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast