What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Island Location 1

Perhaps my favorite location on Long Island, easy to get to and a nice, open environment... a very relaxing visit

In the Coastal Plains Pond's area and may be one for all I know... & inside the Pine Barrens.

Here, there are some D. Rotundifolia that grow on the edges, but the Intermedia are fantastic! Out in the open, in the sand and Tons of them!
They grow really Red too.

There's also some nice Utrics. Purpurea for sure and possibly Striata. I think there may be more, but I have to visit again to see.

First, the Intermedia:

0109c2wms.jpg

0085wms.jpg

9923wms.jpg

9748wms.jpg

9965wms.jpg

9869wms.jpg

9713wms.jpg

9934wms.jpg

Now for the Utrics, I'm new to this part of the hobby... so bear with me. Any additional help in identification would be very much appreciated! ;D

I believe these yellow guys to be U. Striata, they were big, lush fronds anchored to the shallow pond bottom.

0032wms.jpg

9812wms.jpg

I think this guy was U. Striata too, but there were baldders all over the place in that section of the pond
9990ctwms.jpg

I don't think it's a long shot to call this U. Purpurea:

0039wms.jpg

9802wms.jpg

I beleive this was part of a U. Purpurea, but again, there were bladders all over the place. It was confusing to find what was attached to what!
9999wms.jpg

0095wms.jpg

0094wms.jpg

Any idea what this is? It looked interesting enough for a photo... I have a few more as well.

0053sm.jpg

Beautiful photos as always. Those D. intermedia are so red!

Thanks Devon! They're much more red in person! This is a really great location!!

Wow these are great! Thanks for sharing. There is another location somewhere near montauk that I visited last year, a lot of filiformis and intermedia.

Last edited:
10 minutes south of Montauk is in the Atlantic ocean

Haha, good call Mickey.

Heli, I think you mean East... the Walking Dunes does have some incredible Filiformis around the back of the bog you mentioned... pics of that are for the location 2 thread I'm gonna start as soon I have the chance!

Last edited:
I keep forgetting that long island is more positioned east to west instead of north to south :lol:

Back