User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Letter to someone who collected plants from the wild, is this to harsh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Growingold!

Here is the direct quote from the forum:
    "I collected some D. Rotundifolia from Mer Bleue bog near Ottawa. If you're particularly interested in this species, I can give you some if you can pick up from downtown Toronto."

It was in response to a grower who said he wished he was experienced enough to participate in a giveaway.

I have messaged back and fourth with the member in question, and have even sent him quite a few plants and seeds, free, and shipped on my dime...

I've sent him a message asking how many plants he collected. Hopefully it was not to many.

I don't think he knows that what he did was wrong. Hopefully this letter will help to edjumacate him further...

Mainly I'm trying to pound in the fact that even though what he did was (technically) illegal, what matters more is what he took away from the public (in taking away the opportunity for them to see the plants) and from the ecosystem (in removing certain genetic strains from the population).

I considered reporting him to the authorities, but nothing would ever get done...

It also bugs me that since he posted, the kid he posted to may now think that collecting from the wild is ok. The whole culture of taking what you want from nature is terrible, and self perpetuating...

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TAKING FROM PARKS IS USUALLY ILLEGAL ,from national forests is usually legal but should be frowned on
    I would never take from the wild unless the area is going to be destroyed, bog drained, road built , then only with permission of the owner
    it have taken wild < non cp< plants from areas going to be bulldozed to build a housing development( with owners permission) and transplanted them on to property nearby that they can safely grow on

people have to be taught to respect wild plants , there was no need for him to take plants that can be easily gotten for free from cultivation,best to teach people , you letter sounds to preachy for my taste and he might take more for spite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just posted a post about not picking plants from the wild on a different forum and I think it should be posted on every site to let people know its a no no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I got a reply from the kid. Here it is:

Hi there...

I had picked up 4-5 plants from Mer Bleue and later discovered as many seedlings buried in the sphagnum. I did not find any seeds though - in fact, I saw very few with flower stalks on them. Perhaps it's already past the flowering season… Are you looking for seeds?

It was fun being the first time I saw CPs in the wild… The last time I visited this bog, I had no idea that there were sundews out there otherwise I would have looked more closely.

Cheers!

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your letter went completly over his head. Now i think he needs a realty check, along with pointing things out to the forum mods.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say something like, "No, I'm not looking for seeds. I'm just severely concerned about the declining population of these plants. Although you do say that there more seedlings, it still has an significant impact when you take one or two plants then add in how many other people would have the done same thing. The lack of seeds could even be an indicator that many flowering (mature) plants have already been removed or that others have gone an stole the seeds for themselves. Please understand this. Thanks."
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, Chib, I sent him a letter first to find out how many plants he took...

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna send the letter with a few modifications.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with leaf kirby like chibae siad point it out to the mods and any one in athority here

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast