User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Letter to someone who collected plants from the wild, is this to harsh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Letter to someone who collected plants from the wild, is this to harsh?

So, someone on OCPS forums admitted to taking plants from my cities local protected bog.

Needless to say, I wanted to unleash the kracken and destroy this kid. But he is young, and I don't want to scare him away...

Here is part of my response:

I am from Ottawa, and am quite disappointed that anyone would collect from a protected area like Mer Bleu. First off, you collected a plant that is already in cultivation, and which can easily be purchased for cheap. Secondly, you collected from a protected area, without permits. And thirdly, you collected from a population that is under no risk of destruction, and where the genes are secure...

Now, I know you are new to this whole "CP" thing, so here are some "tips" for collecting plants:

First off, never collect plants. You collected a very small portion of the genetic material from the population, and you removed the genetic material you did take, forever.

If you are going to collect, take seeds.

Never, ever, ever, take seeds from a protected area, or an area you don't have permission to take from. Unless you have permits or permission to do so.

If there are not seeds available at the time of year you visit the area, leave the plants be, and go on your way.

Here is the ICPS seed collection policy:
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/see...ildSeedPol.php

Now, here is my biggest issue with collecting plants from the wild:

You did not just take a couple plants, you took away from society at large. Mer Bleu is a public area. Everyone is allowed to visit. The populations of rotundifolia visible from the pathway are quite small, and by taking from these, you took away the opportunity for the public to see those wonderful plants in the wild. By taking from the bog, you not only took away from the ecosystem, you took away from the experience and education of everyone who visits.

Finally, I have to ask, how many plants did you take?

I don't ever want to see you selling these plants. You took from nature, don't even think about selling what you took.

Take this as a kind warning, don't take plants from the wild.

It felt a bit harsh when I was writing it. Is it?

Anyways, thanks in advance if you critique this!

Gabriel
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done....and well worded.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks kindly...

I emailed him to see how many plants he collected, before sending this. Just to see.

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too harsh at all, I don't think. A little rebuke is called for, but you didn't go over the top, and it gives him the chance of fixing his mistake instead of just saying he's stupid, or something of the like. Well done
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my two cents on the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    Now, I know you are new to this whole "CP" thing, so here are some "tips" for collecting plants:
    I'd consider removing the quotes. Comes across as condescending with the way it reads, and opens the letter on a negative note.

If you piss him off right off the bat, the rest of the letter loses power.

Quote Originally Posted by Peatmoss View Post
    I don't ever want to see you selling these plants. You took from nature, don't even think about selling what you took.

Take this as a kind warning, don't take plants from the wild.
    Instead of ordering him not to sell the plants, maybe just make sure he understands that if he does sell plants he takes illegally, he could be fined.

Younger folk don't take kindly to being ordered around, but warnings about being fined/cited/etc. generally grabs their attention.

Lastly, what he did was in fact poaching. He's a poacher. I'd be sure to indicate that somewhere in the letter to bring it all crashing in...subtly.

As you said, you don't want to scare him away, but he needs to understand the gravity of his actions.

All in all, very well-written, and good on you for taking the time to address it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good calls veronis! I see what you mean. I'll edit that before I send it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have enough information to know the situation, so it is difficult to advise on this.
    If the kid admitted to taking plants, did he do it in an attitude of regret & guilt?
    For the interest of the natural stand, you don't want to just beat the kid more, but to encourage him not to do it again.
    Getting it off your chest is one thing, but helping the kid to understand the situation is quite another.

You could advise him to carefully replant them, as at least they have a small chance of surviving.
    Or if he is feeling remorse, congratulating him on learning & helping him to do the right thing in the future would actually do more good,
    than just telling him again how he screwed up.

Again, hard to even advise you on this, without knowing more of what the situation actually is.

Keep in mind, some people are only concerned about whether something is illegal or not, and don't care about taking from the wild & selling the stuff they collect, so long as it isn't outright "illegal".
    Well, good luck.
    Better to make this kid a friend, as you can help him to do more good that way, than by seeing him as an enemy of sorts.
    Good luck.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast