Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Native Carnivores Introduced Into Suitable Habitat

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. In fact I think its great.

How often are people replanting trees or working to restore habitat that has been over-taken by invasives? Do these plants that they(we) use come from the original gene pool of the plants that were there? Are they better contributions to the ecosystem then the invasive plants?

Of course there is a devil's advocate's side to everything but sometimes it is just beating a dead horse, IMO. No study that occurs in that area in the future will ever be so ignorant as to not take into account the fact that the area has obviously been heavily affected by anthropogenic forces. The most noble of those forces in my opinion is the reintroduction (or creation) of a semi-natural ecosystem once again.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Illinois, and back 40years ago, I talked to folks at the states Nature Conservancy,
    whereby I was given a lead as to where some dews were growing...Just south of Chicago.
    I did find them & they were growing in about a 1/4 acre patch, by the thousands!

Turns out that the area used to be an old RR ditch, sandy area that was dug out & created by the railroad workers.
    Totally man made! More research turned up that there are other areas where many orchids & other interesting species,
    again on the city/city limits, all there as a result of developers digging up a large area to put in houses & buildings,
    that were never completed, as a result of the great depression!
    This area turned into one of the largest local areas where the ideal environment was created...all by accident/chance!

So when I hear people now all worried about not disturbing our "natural areas", I crack a smile!
    Early on, I gained an understanding that many "natural areas" ar not all that "natural" as people often think.
    It seems that humans & their activity are "natural" too!
    Just because an animal poops out some seed in an area, & it grows, is no more or less natural than some kid planting
    some seed to see what grows.
    Nature, life, & all its forms are constantly changing & growing (and yes, aging & dieing), so trying to maintain the status qou & keep
    things exactly as they are, is in fact the most un-natural thing to try to do.

Just so you know, further building/development did change the water table & thus kill off all the dews in the one area I saw as a kid,
    while many of the other areas are still going strong.
    And a local kettle/quaking bog is on its last years... I was fortunate enough to see it when the center water was hundreds of feet across
    and deep enough to drown in.... which now, years later is only about 40-50 feet across & a few inches deep, if that.
    The bog is filling in, I can no longer jump on one area & watch the trees rock back & forth, and the few remaining pitcher plants are there from the conservation district planting them back into the area.
    I feel fortunate to have lived in a time where I could enjoy it while it was here at its best, as that is often all we can expect to do.

I won't say anything concerning the pro's or con's as to your planting the plants as you have 138.
    I merely wanted to let people know that we sometimes don't realize the actual circumstances & situation at hand, and that there may not really be "one right way" to handle things, and that sometimes thinking & doing outside the box, can indeed be the best. (I said sometimes!)
    (Also, since when did humans become "Not" a part of nature & its system?! Just because we think differently? Look around folks... most of the people I see are not any smarter/better than animals! In fact, many are even worse!)
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

heatherfeather knows the weather! lil hokie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said GrowinOld.

I was just wondering if you have been back to the site lately or what the progress is?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen the site since about 2 weeks after I took those pics. I'll be going fairly regularly this summer though. I'll post updates in here starting in April or May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read through this whole thread, but the others have so eloquently put, this is a good thing, hopefully we can see a benefit and enjoy it in this moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As man destroys countless natural CP habitats, it's nice to see one restored in what looks to be the right way.
    Good luck and I look forward to seeing more pics!
    btw, permethrin on your clothes, boots and gear with OFF on the skin will keep away the bugs. I routinely go into the worst areas of LI without so much as a mosquito bite or stray tick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went out to check these plants a few weeks ago. The older ones are looking just fine.......

.......and here are just a few of the 100's of seedlings that have sprouted in the area.

More pics to come as the season progresses.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast