Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Native Carnivores Introduced Into Suitable Habitat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Native Carnivores Introduced Into Suitable Habitat

In my wanderings I came across an abandoned sand pit in southern NH. Years ago a construction company used to lease this land for hauling out sand for their projects. The area was basically a white pine woodland growing on top of pure fine sand surrounded by an immense beaver dam. The company had built a causeway through the beaver dam to access the sand, cut down the pine trees and excavated a huge bowl in the earth. About 20 years ago the laws in NH regarding wetlands were changed and the company was forced to pull their out their operation.
    While walking through the area a few years ago to photograph some rare local turtles I noticed that Drosera intermedia had seeded itself in the bottom of this sandy depression along with other bog plants like Green Bog Orchids, Meadow Beauty, Cranberry, Bog Violets, Yellow Eyed Grass and, Sphagnum moss. Seeing this put a thought into my head...... Why not help other species native to the region colonize the area ?
    Last year I introduced young plants of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea and Utricularia macrohiza and seeded the area heavily with Drosera rotundifolia. The plants I added all originated within 10 miles of this location. Since the plants seem to like their new home, I'll be adding some more local Sarracenia purpurea purpurea along with Calopogon tuberosus and Utricularia purpurea next year.
    Some of you may love this idea, some of you may think it's wrong. Whatever your opinion, just try to enjoy seeing these plants now thriving in a wild semi-natural habitat.

Please excuse the quality of the pictures, I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes and deer flies while trying to take them. I'll return and get some better shots later on.

Here are the Drosera intermedia that were already present in the area growing amongst the grasses and bog violets.
    Native Carnivores Introduced Into Suitable Habitat alt="Drosera intermedia - Pelham, NH">

Utricularia macrohiza now growing happily in the beaver dam beside the old causeway.
    Utricularia macrohiza - Reintroduced - Pulpit Rock Rd. Pelham, NH

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea
    Sarracenia purpurea purpurea - Reintroduced - Pulpit Rock Rd. Pelham, NH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love what you are doin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont mind the idea at all since you arent introducing foreign sarracenia or capensis... thought it was really responsible that you identified and used plants from the surrounding 10 miles, to get a more accurate genetic representation of what should be there.
    otherwise, i think it's pretty awesome that these guys are going to re-establish old hunting grounds.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    dont mind the idea at all since you arent introducing foreign sarracenia or capensis...my only qualm would be to use plants with location data that put them closest to the site. it may have been even more responsible to look back into historical records to truly identify which CPs actually existed in that specific area, but ey, what the hey...

otherwise, i think it's pretty awesome that these guys are going to re-establish old hunting grounds.
    All the plants that were introduced came from within 10 miles of this site. There were no carnivorous plants growing in this area in the past because this habitat didn't even exist until 20 years ago or so. It's a completely man made area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    All the plants that were introduced came from within 10 miles of this site. There were no carnivorous plants growing in this area in the past because this habitat didn't even exist until 20 years ago or so. It's a completely man made area.
    i reread and caught myself. went back and edited my post....that's what i get for skimming... :facepalm:
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's from the same county/surrounding area then I see no problem with it. Basically what you've done is created a small preserve. It'll be interesting to see how this progresses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful work!
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    If it's from the same county/surrounding area then I see no problem with it. Basically what you've done is created a small preserve. It'll be interesting to see how this progresses.
    I'll have around 20,000 more seeds from the purpurea this year. I plan on scattering most of them out there in October or November so they can stratify naturally. I'll also germinate a few thousand indoors and sow the seedlings out there in the spring or possibly the following year when they're a bit bigger. I'm hoping to get at least 100 plants established at the site in the next few years.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast