User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it legal to collect plants from your property?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit...Accidentally posted twice. See next entry.
    Last edited by richjam1986; 04-24-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    What is legally right and ethically ok can be two different things (imho). If there are actually CPs on the property, consider harvesting a small portion of available seed & growing them yourself (vs poaching your relative's plants). The ICPS seed collection policy tends to provide me a baseline/guideline when I'm tempted ....

Very well said. Sometimes the law still allows for pretty heinous actions. So consider what is ethical rather than legal (though the legal aspect is very important too). Consider how little CP habitat remains in the US (less than 5% of original habitat remains). Remaining populations and habitats should be well cared for in situ if at all possible. I don't think seed collecting is out of the question though, and plant collection may be sustainable if only a small fraction of the population is removed (e.g. less than 1% of the population). Depends on the rarity of the plant. Seed or plant collection of very rare plants would probably be a bad idea altogether.
    Da' mishu
    Provo, Utah.

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...29#post1089429

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it IS legal to collect Venus Flytraps from the wild, IF (and only if) it is your own property. Don't quote me on that. The only CITES laws/restrictions I've really had drilled into my head are ones concerning Sarracenia jonesii. And richjam is right. Do what is ethical as well as what is legal. Venus flytraps are a vulnerable species and many other carnivorous plants are critically endangered. The genus Aldrovanda originally had eighteen species, but now the only one left is a vulnerable species as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But why would you collect VFT's from your property when you could plant VFT's on your property?
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in VA? I'd be interested in checking it out with Phil. Good Sphagnum bogs in VA are hard to find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a friend with some bog land but haven't had a chance too look at it...........it's a great adventure and all but with bog land comes bog insects and lots of em. So eat well bc you will be coming back about 1/2 a quart low. lol. From what i have read which isn't extensive by any means......vft's are native to north carolina, if it's your property then i do not see a problem but what you can do and what you should do are 2 different things.

If I was in your position I would act under the following guidlines:

if you see some healthy dews.....i would take a leaf clipping or 2 and just clone em. Far as i know a clone with location data is just as good as an original. If you see some dews that are endanger of dying....snap a pic and maybe see if you can get permission to remove them from someone with a background in this type of field. Although highly unlikely you may find some sarracenia........snap a pic and again consult with someone who has a background in conservation would be my opinion.

either way...get pics!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12