What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sites to see D. californica in the wild

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hey guys,

I am making a trip down to California for a family thing in June this year. I am planning on staying an extra couple of days and see if I can drive down to couple of mountain sites for some trekking and spotting some D. californica populations in the wild. I will be around 1h 45min away from california carnivores which is also going to be one of my stops. Can anyone provide some guidance of where I can find them and some populations that are relatively close to this region that I can visit?

thanks

Varun

You can contact Peter D'Amato and he can give you detailed instructions to the closest sites to Sevastopol. If you want to visit some of the less accessible sites Harry Tryon is the person to contact. Peter could probably give you his contact information or try flytraplady5 (Lois). Harry is locate much further north than Sevastopol.

Thanks very much NaN. I will contact them. :)

Oh, just saw this thread. I did a trip up North a few years ago and Harry Tryon was awesome. I second NaN's suggestion, and yes we were skirting the very North of Cali. Almost hit Oregon but decided that would be a little too much.

I have some cobra exploits planned this summer near Gasquet, CA. The places I am visiting are at least six hours from Sevastopol. You might plan on a bit of a drive, though I guess some populations might be closer to where you will be.

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I will try to look up the locations and once I get to CC, will try to contact Peter to get more info on the sites. :) I have also some of Stewart's books. I will look through and see fi I can narrow something down from there.

I'm going to be in the bay area around the 4th of July, and I'm interested in any CP sites that might be within driving range.

I just saw my first CPs in the wild, at the Darlingtonia Wayside. Took a good deal of searching to find the sundews, but even in the spring, last years influorescences are the best way to locate them. Several Darlingtonia were already in flower!

3woqc.jpg

dont know why its sideways :/

Back