Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Great Article on US Conservation Priorities

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Article on US Conservation Priorities

This is a great article, the gist of which (in my words only) is that the conservation priorities in the US are mismatched with the needs of our biodiversity. Essentially, we have this strange situation where most of our preserved lands/habitats are in the western US. And of course, most of our endangered species, habitats, and development concerns occur in the east, where there is a great deal less protection.

It is my hope that studies like these can prioritize conservation goals, and steer us in a direction that works better for the plants and animals most at risk of extinction.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...34112.full.pdf

Oh, and not to take away from the importance of the study though, but an anecdote: the journal is great, but its name (PNAS) is a common butt of jokes in the science world.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting and tragic, Kev. Hopefully studies like this are a step toward correcting any erroneous conservation efforts.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all conservation is great and necessary. In fact, I'd say we've done a decent job protecting stuff out west. It's rather that we need to step up our game along the Mississippi River watershed and east coast. Notice how a lot of the animal/plant diversity maps follow the mississippi.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I had terrible word choice above.

I should be awake for at least an hour before using multisyllabic words.