What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp site with s.minors, flavas, and purpureas

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
One day my brother told me that he thinks there are some cp's on his land. I asked him what kind, he said he didn't know. I wasn't able to go see them at that time because I'm currently living in another state. I went home in March 2002 and I made it a point to go see what he had. I got to his house and he got his four wheeler and told me to follow him. I had never been there before so I had no idea where I was going. I followed him down this dirt road to about 3 miles back into the woods. He stopped at a small trail. I then got on the four wheeler with him and went down this trail that was barely wide enough for the four wheeler. After we turned a corner I saw a dead flava pitcher. Then I saw more and more. Then to my surprise I saw a S.minor. I know that they are reported to be in SE North Carolina, they used to be alot more widespread, but this is the only surviving site I know about. For about every 10 flavas I saw one minor. The sarracenia was really over taken by the brush. I tried to talk my brother in to burning the land but he refused to do it. He let me take a small plant so I'm going to reproduce it and I'm going to introduce the seeds back to the site. I'm also going to grow some of the plants and then transplant them when they are old enough to survive and compete with the brush there. Hopefully I'll get seeds from it this year because it has a flower on it now.

I went back in July, last year. They were sarracenia everywhere. Alot more than I saw the first time, because last time in March they were dormant. They were even in the middle of the trail and were being ran over by the fourwheelers. That's when I saw the S.purpureas for the first time, I don't know how I missed them the first time. I have some pictures but I don't have a site to host them.

Well this my favorite cp site. It has S.flavas, minors, purpureas, and alot of hybrids. I think that if I had time to really search, I'll find sundews, butterworts and maybe even vft's. If he allowed me to burn the land, the population of the cp's would explode. I'm still trying to talk him into it.
If you have a favorite cp site tell us about it. I'd love to hear about it.

Ronnie,
Call the US Forstery Service in the area where your brother lives and explain the issue and see if they will not come and conduct a controled burn on his land. I understand that this is done for free. A burn is a very tricky thing and you have to be trained to do it correctly so that it does not get out of control, especially since this land has not been burned. I recently took a photo of a burn near Grayton Beach that got out of control and killed all the trees. (long leaf pine 30-40' tall) You might also try calling The Nature Conservancy's division in NC as well as contacting the Rob Gardner and Larry Mellichamp at NC State. There are many sources to help. Keep us posted. This is exciting!

Its nice to find a new site. I am glad you were able to see it and are in the process of trying to protect it.

That site could become one of the last great places in NC.

I second SarraceniaObsessed.

The forrestry service would definately be interested in preserving a rare piece of nature, and enhancing it. Surely the would understand the importance as well.

Keep us up to date?

I have tryed to get my brother to let me contact The Nature Conservancy and see if they would burn the land. He said no, he don't want to disturb the deer. He said he really don't care about the plants, they don't matter to him. Don't worry he wouldn't do anything to them he just wants the land to stay the way it is. Besides he knows how much they mean to me. The only danger they face right now is competition from the other plants.
Don't worry I'm still working on him, I convince him one day.

As a native Tarheel  (also ,I returned there for 4 years 82-86) I know  something of the ecology of eastern N.C.

You should tell your brother that a legal controlled burn will not disturb  whitetail deer  much or  for long and will  in fact enhance the land for that species too.You have a fine idea and hope you can carry this off. I suggest contacting a N.C. state biologist with your suggestion.Wildlife In N.C. magazine has contact info for each district.

Luckily there are many such areas left in eastern N.C ,though it is true ,the historical abundance of native CPs is only a fraction of what it was.In Duplin county (as one example) the wetlands west of highway 117 between Warsaw and Faison is a prime area but one must hoof it off the road in order to find prime areas like the one you described.Another excellent area is Dare County which is not much changed from Sir Walter Raleigh's time...provided you get away from the pavement.

Good luck.

So far I have tryed every angle I could to get my brother to agree. I even told him that the minors are a food source for the deer.
rolleyes.gif
 He didn't buy it.
Next time you're in NC let me know, I'll try to make it down there so we can meet and show each other some sites.

Many grasses benefit from having burns. The burns destroy competing brush and tree seedlings that will evetually shade out not only the CPs but the grass the deer are gazing on.

alien.gif

Good point,
I'll make that my argument next time I'm there.

keep trying to make him agree to burn the bog , thats a very precious site of cp's he's got .

Don't worry I won't give up on this site until I see it full of vft's sundews and S.minors. I'll wear him down one day.

Did you say Ash, as in Ash county?

It's not in Ash county. It's in Brunswick county.

Opps, My bad. Too many places with ash in them.

Why is it always are brothers and sisters and mother and laws etc. who have the cool spots with cp's and they dont really care(not as much as us anyway) and what do the cp lovers get . Nothin!

this is an unfair world

Mark, tell your brother that a burn will actually improve his deer populace. They are known to increase numbers shortly after a burn. They feed readily on the small, soft plants that nature produces soon after a burn. It is done on a regular basis here and I have not seen a deer populace suffer due to a controlled burn.

I have, I've told him all about that. He won't budge. I've done everything except show him documented proof. If anybody has any that I can print out send it to me and I'll show him. Maybe I should print this topic out, maybe that will convince him.

Mat Man,
My sister in Vermont has qutie alot of drosera, and possibly some pings. She has posted lots of signs ect. that say no tresspasing to warn off ppl to stop them from digging them up. Read the post about "Vermont cp's"
Kevin

Could you not move the plants that are getting run over at least?
confused.gif

The trail is not used very much, so there's not alot af harm done by the four wheelers. Actually it is a very good place for them to grow because there is alot less plant competion on the trail. Still there is something wrong about seeing pitcher plants being ran over with a four wheeler. It just don't seem right.

Back