What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vermont cp's

Hello,
Well last summer I was in Vermont with my stepsister (she lives there). She and her boyfriend own some odd 20 acres of land. Off on a 15 min. hike from their house you will find a lake. On one side of the lake is a large part where I foind hundreds of some type of drosera, and i found a couple pings too. Hopefully I can go back in August and get some pictures and hopeful identification. Just felt like sharing,
Kevin

Wow, that's great! Perhaps I could come along?
wink.gif

Good news! All, i mean all the plants are in flower, and my sister who owns the property, says she found a bunch of of "sticky green plants" most likely pinguicula, i found one last summer. She said that she put up no tresspassing signs ect. because I told her the sedimental value of her property. A pair of Loons also nested there in the middle of the mass sundews(Loons are an endangered bird).
Kevin

Hi Kevin,
I might be going to Vermont later this summer to visit aunts and cousins. My cousin, Anne, has a cabin on a lake. I'm hoping I might get to poke around there and see something similar! Thanks for the inspiration!
They live near Chelsea, if that means anything to anyone.
smile.gif

Chelsea? i have never heard of it. They live near Wilmington? Near the border in Southern Vermont. I can't remember what lake its called.......
Kevin

Your sisters site sounds really nice. I'd like to see the plants. Next time you're there get some pics if you can.

Oh definetly!!! Last time i was there..........uh, well we lost the film.........in the water.Yep........*long pause*i will next time though!
Kevin

You've found a P. vulgaris. Quite interesting! I am trying to re-introduce it to my area. It went extinct (except for very very remote bogs) about 30 years ago I think. Anyhow be sure to stop and see me on your trip back from Vermont!
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenialuver @ June 13 2003,04:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh definetly!!! Last time i was there..........uh, well we lost the film.........in the water.Yep........*long pause*i will next time though!
                Kevin[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That's why your mother kept telling you, ''Don't play around near the water with that camera!''

rolleyes.gif

Yes, I think it was...it wasn't looking that good, but I would guess P. Vulgaris, i didn't mean to drop it in the water.......
wink.gif

Kevin

If you get seed from the plants make sure the darn birds don't eat them.

Hello,
Well I can't go to Vermont this year...tickets prices were really high.....but I've talked to her since then. The drosera seem to be a weed, and taking up the area around a small stream that runs next to their house. Also, last year when I went, there is a place where some moose hang out. Theres a large bog like area by a trail thats roughly the size of a football field, then a medium sized beaver pond, out in the middle, surrounded by lots of trees. Several trees make the barrier to the beaver pond and "bog". I never looked for plants in this area, because of the baby moose we where looking at. But I would definetly assme there to be alot of drosera, utrics, maybe more pings.....I want to go back so bad, but not for just thecp's, but my sister, lol, she is lucky to have most of this on her own land
smile.gif
Kevin

Wow! you are lucky! endanged bird, endangered plant, better protect it well!

Back