Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild drosera species found...

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my opinion. If they plants are thriving and doing well then you should leave them alone. Always remember most of the time the best thing to do is nothing. Unless the are in extreme danger. It's best to wait and figure out the best plan. First thing you need to do is to find out what the law says in your area. Most state the law is that you have to have written permission from the landowner, in this case it seems to be the park. If you only want to move some of the plants to an area then you would still need written permission from the land owner. By the way what state and what town is this park in? I'll see if I can find some answers for you.

Jeff Hasenflu 623N.Schenley Ave.Youngstown,Oh44509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mark- since there are cps growing in Akron-Ohio do you think that there would be any growing in a state park called millcreek in boardman/youngstown near me?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll look it up and see if I can find anything on it. You could also search the park yourself. Look for wet/low and sunny areas.

Jeff Hasenflu 623N.Schenley Ave.Youngstown,Oh44509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who would i call to ask - a naturalist for the park maybe if they have such a thing since its a huge place. alot of parts don't get enough sun and get flooded so i doubt i would find any- but there are acouple ponds and other areas- thanks and let me know if you fins anything out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vertigo,
    I believe that it is legal to collect seed to introduce them to a nearby bog to spread the species. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] I would say go for it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the seeds are on another persons property then , it's stealing and poaching. It does not matter if you were tring to do something good. The seeds are not yours to take and if you do, even to relocted them is considered poaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks,

Interesting discussion.

Here's what you really should do. Take some time, and find out who owns the property. If it is a public park, contact your city department of recreation (or parks, or whatever the appropriate department is...if you don't know, call city hall).

Talk to the land owner or the parks staff responsible to the site. Tell them how wonderful these plants are, what an asset to the park they are, how cool they are. The best thing you could do for these plants is not to transplant them, but rather get the owners/managers aware that these are cool and worth taking care of. Suggest to the park staff that they keep the trampling down to a minimum. Remember, if this is a public park, YOU are a customer, and the manager should work to satisfy your interests (within some balance, of course, because they usually have lots of competing issues to think about). Be polite, be enthusiastic, be firm. Maybe visit the site with him/her. Be clear on what your message is.

ONCE you develop some sort of relationship with the manager, tell them your interests in moving plants. Tell them why. Get permission. Find out if the place you'd like to move them to is a good place---it would stink if it was slated for a tennis court construction site!

Sound like a lot of work? Well, sure, I suppose it is. BUT, there are all kinds of benefits from this. First off, you are telling the managers to take care of the sundews---that there is some public interest in the little things. Second, you might be allowed to do some out-in-the-open conservation. (If you find yourself doing "conservation" but are doing it in a way you are hoping not to get caught, listen to the little angel on your shoulder, not the little devil. Don't do it&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] Third, other cool things could happen, like you might be told by the managers, "Oh yeah, you want to see other places these things live?" or you might be labelled the "sundew person" who is contacted if something might happen of interest regarding them. Or you might end up getting profiled in the newspaper.

I guess what I'm getting at is that there's the quick and dirty, sneaky conservation you can do. It might be a good idea, but it might also get you in trouble. And then there's the relationship-building, open conservation you can do. If you do that, you court the possibility of all kinds of extra benefits. Conservation work is not done in a vaccuum, you do it with partners. And that's what you're trying to build---a partnership with people who are aware of the value of the plants and your interest in doing what's best for them.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Cheers

Barry
    Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
    Co-editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Barry,
    Thanks so much for your input. I passed this on to Vertigo, who is currently locked out of PFT by his Job ( [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] ).
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast