What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild drosera species found...

Hey guys, it's been an interesting weekend.

I decided to go for a walk through a local park, as I was walking around I was taking in the scenery and running a bunch of thoughts through my head. I ended up walking to one of my favorite spots near this lake (just happens to have a few mats of sphag growing), and standing on the waters edge. I looked down and watched a few fish swim happily by, and some ducks sleeping quietly, their heads tucked in and eyes closed. To my other side I noticed a bit of errosion from the water, and some rocks and sand with a bit of sphag growing on top. Behind quite some blades of grass I noticed pin head sized rubies sparkling. To my absolute amazement I realized that these little gems were just as valuable to me, especially seeing them native (there are so few that I know of that exist here) to this area, and growing in the wild. They appear to be either D. rotundifolia or intermedia. Or perhaps even a hybrid of the two. I'm going to definately try to get some pictures for everyone.

I have a few questions about this though. It's on public land, and the spot they're growing seems to be a pretty frequent spot. It's one of those places a person would fish from constantly and step on quite often. Would it be wrong it take a few (one, maybe two) for preservation? With the idea in mind that I could propagate and reintroduce into the empty larger sphagnum mats that grow in less traveled areas? Also, I was wondering what the views are of doing the same with wild sphagnum? Would it be wrong for someone to take some in hopes of spreading it to a wider area around it?

Thanks guys, I just want to handle this in the responsible manner, and make sure one day my kids could see these wonderful creations growing wild in nature.

As long as they are not a treatoned species where you live I don`t see why not.

If you're taking them for the sole reason of reintroducing them into safer spots (when propogated), then I would say go for it! It could help, and it really wouldn't hurt.

SF

Moving to Conservation at Vertigo's request

Hi Vetigo,

If you can find someone who works for the park who loves plants you can make them aware of the situation. If it is the only spot with CPs they may take steps to protect them. If they are in other areas of the park as well, they may not. Is it a state or local park? Most state parks have a botonist or other plant lover working for them.

I love finding CPs in the wild, it's such a thrill. Keep visiting and you will probably find more. I'll bet there are Utics there as well.

It's a local park. I think a maintenance crew goes through the area to cut some grass but other than that there's usually no one there at all except for joggers and fishing people. It's just kind of a path in the woods around some water that goes in a circle. Honestly it's kind of like a duck pond. There's a bunch of wild plants but they just kind of get cut back, but in the spring it gets pretty over grown. I'm not really sure if they would or could do much to protect them, especially the area that they're in, and the most they'd probably do is put up a sign to try and draw attention at which rate they'd all be killed off one way or another. I'd just like to move some to some quieter spots where they could grow undisturbed.

Tough call! You are the one at the site and must decide for your self what to do. I think it is best to leave the plants. Are there seeds? The ICPS has some good advice on seed collection on the website, I think it's in the seedbank section.

I'll check for pods. I did see quite a few scapes but i'm not sure if they were from the same plants or nearby grasses. I'll try and get a closer look and asses the overall situation.

If it rains in the next few days which it looks like it might, i'll be able to get an idea of future erosion of the small shore it's on.

Here's my opinion. If they plants are thriving and doing well then you should leave them alone. Always remember most of the time the best thing to do is nothing. Unless the are in extreme danger. It's best to wait and figure out the best plan. First thing you need to do is to find out what the law says in your area. Most state the law is that you have to have written permission from the landowner, in this case it seems to be the park. If you only want to move some of the plants to an area then you would still need written permission from the land owner. By the way what state and what town is this park in? I'll see if I can find some answers for you.

mark- since there are cps growing in Akron-Ohio do you think that there would be any growing in a state park called millcreek in boardman/youngstown near me?

I'll look it up and see if I can find anything on it. You could also search the park yourself. Look for wet/low and sunny areas.

who would i call to ask - a naturalist for the park maybe if they have such a thing since its a huge place. alot of parts don't get enough sun and get flooded so i doubt i would find any- but there are acouple ponds and other areas- thanks and let me know if you fins anything out
smile.gif

Vertigo,
I believe that it is legal to collect seed to introduce them to a nearby bog to spread the species.
biggrin.gif
I would say go for it

If the seeds are on another persons property then , it's stealing and poaching. It does not matter if you were tring to do something good. The seeds are not yours to take and if you do, even to relocted them is considered poaching.

Hey Folks,

Interesting discussion.

Here's what you really should do. Take some time, and find out who owns the property. If it is a public park, contact your city department of recreation (or parks, or whatever the appropriate department is...if you don't know, call city hall).

Talk to the land owner or the parks staff responsible to the site. Tell them how wonderful these plants are, what an asset to the park they are, how cool they are. The best thing you could do for these plants is not to transplant them, but rather get the owners/managers aware that these are cool and worth taking care of. Suggest to the park staff that they keep the trampling down to a minimum. Remember, if this is a public park, YOU are a customer, and the manager should work to satisfy your interests (within some balance, of course, because they usually have lots of competing issues to think about). Be polite, be enthusiastic, be firm. Maybe visit the site with him/her. Be clear on what your message is.

ONCE you develop some sort of relationship with the manager, tell them your interests in moving plants. Tell them why. Get permission. Find out if the place you'd like to move them to is a good place---it would stink if it was slated for a tennis court construction site!

Sound like a lot of work? Well, sure, I suppose it is. BUT, there are all kinds of benefits from this. First off, you are telling the managers to take care of the sundews---that there is some public interest in the little things. Second, you might be allowed to do some out-in-the-open conservation. (If you find yourself doing "conservation" but are doing it in a way you are hoping not to get caught, listen to the little angel on your shoulder, not the little devil. Don't do it&#33
wink.gif
Third, other cool things could happen, like you might be told by the managers, "Oh yeah, you want to see other places these things live?" or you might be labelled the "sundew person" who is contacted if something might happen of interest regarding them. Or you might end up getting profiled in the newspaper.

I guess what I'm getting at is that there's the quick and dirty, sneaky conservation you can do. It might be a good idea, but it might also get you in trouble. And then there's the relationship-building, open conservation you can do. If you do that, you court the possibility of all kinds of extra benefits. Conservation work is not done in a vaccuum, you do it with partners. And that's what you're trying to build---a partnership with people who are aware of the value of the plants and your interest in doing what's best for them.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Cheers

Barry

Hi Barry,
Thanks so much for your input. I passed this on to Vertigo, who is currently locked out of PFT by his Job (
sad.gif
).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (0zzy @ Sep. 23 2003,08:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here's my opinion. If they plants are thriving and doing well then you should leave them alone. Always remember most of the time the best thing to do is nothing. Unless the are in extreme danger. It's best to wait and figure out the best plan. First thing you need to do is to find out what the law says in your area. Most state the law is that you have to have written permission from the landowner, in this case it seems to be the park. If you only want to move some of the plants to an area then you would still need written permission from the land owner. By the way what state and what town is this park in? I'll see if I can find some answers for you.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I so concur! Leave it to humans to screw things up.
mad.gif

Travis

Back