Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild drosera species found...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, it's been an interesting weekend.

I decided to go for a walk through a local park, as I was walking around I was taking in the scenery and running a bunch of thoughts through my head. I ended up walking to one of my favorite spots near this lake (just happens to have a few mats of sphag growing), and standing on the waters edge. I looked down and watched a few fish swim happily by, and some ducks sleeping quietly, their heads tucked in and eyes closed. To my other side I noticed a bit of errosion from the water, and some rocks and sand with a bit of sphag growing on top. Behind quite some blades of grass I noticed pin head sized rubies sparkling. To my absolute amazement I realized that these little gems were just as valuable to me, especially seeing them native (there are so few that I know of that exist here) to this area, and growing in the wild. They appear to be either D. rotundifolia or intermedia. Or perhaps even a hybrid of the two. I'm going to definately try to get some pictures for everyone.

I have a few questions about this though. It's on public land, and the spot they're growing seems to be a pretty frequent spot. It's one of those places a person would fish from constantly and step on quite often. Would it be wrong it take a few (one, maybe two) for preservation? With the idea in mind that I could propagate and reintroduce into the empty larger sphagnum mats that grow in less traveled areas? Also, I was wondering what the views are of doing the same with wild sphagnum? Would it be wrong for someone to take some in hopes of spreading it to a wider area around it?

Thanks guys, I just want to handle this in the responsible manner, and make sure one day my kids could see these wonderful creations growing wild in nature.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as they are not a treatoned species where you live I don`t see why not.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're taking them for the sole reason of reintroducing them into safer spots (when propogated), then I would say go for it! It could help, and it really wouldn't hurt.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving to Conservation at Vertigo's request
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Vetigo,

If you can find someone who works for the park who loves plants you can make them aware of the situation. If it is the only spot with CPs they may take steps to protect them. If they are in other areas of the park as well, they may not. Is it a state or local park? Most state parks have a botonist or other plant lover working for them.

I love finding CPs in the wild, it's such a thrill. Keep visiting and you will probably find more. I'll bet there are Utics there as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a local park. I think a maintenance crew goes through the area to cut some grass but other than that there's usually no one there at all except for joggers and fishing people. It's just kind of a path in the woods around some water that goes in a circle. Honestly it's kind of like a duck pond. There's a bunch of wild plants but they just kind of get cut back, but in the spring it gets pretty over grown. I'm not really sure if they would or could do much to protect them, especially the area that they're in, and the most they'd probably do is put up a sign to try and draw attention at which rate they'd all be killed off one way or another. I'd just like to move some to some quieter spots where they could grow undisturbed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough call! You are the one at the site and must decide for your self what to do. I think it is best to leave the plants. Are there seeds? The ICPS has some good advice on seed collection on the website, I think it's in the seedbank section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check for pods. I did see quite a few scapes but i'm not sure if they were from the same plants or nearby grasses. I'll try and get a closer look and ***** the overall situation.

If it rains in the next few days which it looks like it might, i'll be able to get an idea of future erosion of the small shore it's on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast