Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ideas from the cp community to help save cps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugweed,
    I think you're right about the ecenomics of it. Unless it were privately funded (when I win Mega Millions, that is), I doubt it would happen. Are there any millionaires on this sight with a burning desire to protect the environment? We just need a few high profile busts, and the word would be out....
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schloaty. I am waiting for my millions to show up, but the prize patrol keeps missing my house! LOL
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The future should be cultivated in the children of today.

Anyone that has children, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren on the boards, donate some CP to your children's science class. Have a minibog/terrarium on permanent display throughout the year.

Donate some plants to the class to take home with instruction sheets(& ICPS link). Word of mouth thing - free advertising.

Have a label with: "http://www.carnivorousplants.org" printed and taped to the display.

Add your own pictures of CP to the display, illustrating the other types of CP in Nature. Some may like one kind and not another.

Maybe have a copy of the ICPS Newsletter on display.

Maybe offer discounts to younger students. They will be the ICPS members of the future.

Ask local nurseries to place THE ICPS contact info near the plants they sell.

Ask the chains(HD, Lowes, And even W-Mart) to do likewise.

Ask to speak with the manager and explain that increased awareness of CP via ICPS would most likely boost their sales.

Ask online sellers to do likewise.

The main point being - advertising. The use of minimal resources that have wide and pronounced effects.

Try and recruit one(or more) new member a year.

Maybe the ICPS should estimate the fesability of contacting say each state's govenor and instituting the above mentioned CP distribution for grade schools. The ICPS(or others) could raise seeds of several types of CP for the displays. The plexiglass panels at the local chains can make nice display cases.

Maybe it should be made a law that everyone has to cultivate CP. Start an allotment program that pays for CP cultivation. Sorta like the peanut allotment. CP millionaires. "Well, the first thing you know ol' Jed's a CP millionaire. The kinfolks say, 'Jed! How do I become a CP millionaire?'"

Back to me hole,
    tweek
    \"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.\" - EInstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to the forums here and just found this...why has the discussion stopped??

I've been a member of Save the Rhinos International for a little bit and in a way they are doing the same sort of work, but CP fans don't usually need to worry about poachers with machine guns.

STR holds many fundraising events that are both educational and profitable. They also have the advantage of having an office with paid workers that can afford to devote more time to the cause. They team up with international companies like Ecko (who has a rhino logo) for fundraisers and do high profile things like have runners in the world's biggest marathon compete in full rhino suits!

I don't know how this can be used for our cause, but there has to be some fun fundraisers we could do. A CP enthusiast production of Little Shop of Horrors complete with the BEST lobby display and "gift shop" ever! Maybe a petition or two as well. I suppose somebody could run a marathon dressed as a nepenthes or something but that is a bit extreme.

Let's figure some stuff out. This seems to be beyond the scope of existing organizations so we need to think of new stuff to do.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i say we convince the politicians to allow S. oreophila to enter TC and legalize the sale and trade of lab grown plants. that would reduce pressure on native populations and everyone could grow them.

same with other endangered sarracenia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...what do they gain by having these protected? Is there any reason that they wouldn't allow it? Is this protection just in place because somebody put it there and the fat, lazy politicians don't want to take the time to change it?

How does one begin to go about this (forgive my ignorance but this is new for me (the topic is new, not ignorance. That's pretty much been in place for a bit now))?

This won't help our dear little flytraps though. Those are certainly widely available yet still poached.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone thought of looking into getting grant money for public service announcements? It may help stem the poaching of native species.

For better or worse, the US government loves to give money away. Especially if it causes warm fuzzies for the constituients. Perhaps contact senators from the states in which our beloved plants currently reside to work on getting funding.

Worth a shot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123