Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas from the cp community to help save cps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking for serious ideas on what the average CP grower can do to help stop poaching.

Here are some of mine.

Education of people about the fragile nature of the ecosystems in which CPs grow and the rarity of the plants by sites like this and by CP clubs.

Keeping an eye out for suspicious sales of CPs. Every place that does not specialize in CPs but sells them has had the plant grower on the label from my experience. If they are not labeled we should be asking questions.

Help conservation efforts by jioning organizations like the ICPS or by donating time or money to other conservation groups.

Please add your thoughts. Growing CPs is a lot of fun but seeing them in the wild is so much better! Time is unfortunately running out for a large portion of these plants here and around the world.

Lets try and make a difference, if we don't do it, no one will.
    Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it would be feasable to have a group of volunteers to keep and eye on E-bay....I bet people who poach in small amounts use that to sell their victims....
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great suggestions so far.

I always discuss the subject when I give CP talks and when I buy ICPS seeds I contribute $ to the conservation fund.

I will try to make a "100 VFT's Poached" poster for the upcoming NECPS show to appeal to kids and adults. I'd love people's ideas for it - PM me privately. Only 12 days so I really have to get cracking on this.

Wild Bill

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with all your ideas. They all are important. Another way that may save alot of plants is to take a look at the two pinned topics at the top of this forum, Greenswamp and Mississippi topics. Give us some ideas, write to the address that are given and let them know how you feel about cp's. Those two sites fate is in their hands, they make the desision whether to destroy or save these sites. Let them know that those sites mean alot to people all over the world. Make your voice heard.

I think this topic should be pinned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we need to go out in our areas and educate people about CPs. If we didn't know that the rainforest had so many creatures in it would we even care about saving it. I think education is the key. I will give a talk and presentation about CPs to an local gardening club. I have created a PowerPoint presentation for that purpose which will cover the many types of CPs. I also an asking local science teachers if they would like to have me come talk to their class about CPs. So just spread the word about these wonderful plants. Like my signature says, "Can anyone see such marvelous things, knowing them to be only plants and feel no wonder?" Well thats my two cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm joining the ICPS in November!! yippee!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an idea. Clubs can distribute cities listed native plants (oreos, etc.) and encourage members to propagate these in large quantities and give them away for free.

Having these plants legally available in abundance should take some pressure off of the remaing wild populations!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there are several ways that this needs to be approached and most of them have been covered. EDUCATION: Just this week, I was interview by a woman who writes for the New York Times. She is writing about CPs and their gaining popularity. Educating folks about Cps and their plight is good but often increases the demand for these plants.
    AVAILABILITY:If they cannot be easily found at a local nursery then the pressure to poach becomes greater. It is a double edged sword. It is hard to get growers to grow a plant that there 'might' be a market for. Tissue culture has become the best way to increase these plants for sale and distibution. Most people will just want a nice plant and not a specific form, hybrid or cultivar. Those selections will be left to speciality growers.

PROTECTION/CONSERVATION:All of us need to do our parts to tell people about CPs and their questionable future if things are not changed. I am fortunate in that I am often asked to lecture to clubs and influential groups and have used this opportunity to spread the word about CPs. I use the stastic that everyday in the rain forest we loose 10 cures for a disease that we don't even know of yet, yet in our own back yards, so to speak, grows a plant that we still know very little about and within that plants' pitcher shaped leaf lives a mite that occurs no where else on earth. What is that mite secreted a substances that was the cure for Parkinson's Disease? This is why we need to save these plants and their eco systems. It would be nice the think that the common folk (opposed to us who are passionate about CPs) would want to save these plants for the shear beauty, uniqueness or intrigue. Some people operate on the premise of, "What's in it of me." This is the angle I use. I will be speaking to 200 heads of the Gardens Clubs of Georgia and two state legislators next week. These women have increbible influence. I WILL be mentioning bog destruction. Randy Zeer's web site has some very disturding pictures of bog destruction that I would like to use for my lecture. They have astounding shock value. Does anyone know him personally?

We all need to do what we can. Every little bit helps. I have 100s of seedlings that I have grown over the last 18 months that I would be more than happy to give for education purposes. PM me if you have such a cause. I will gladly donate them. Good Growing and talk, talk, talk...spread the word.

B-Obsessed
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast