What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Field Report from North Carolina

Hey Folks,

I recently returned from a field trip to the mountains and coastal areas of North Carolina. I had a great time, and had the honor of seeing some endangered mountain pitcher plants as well as the usual squadron of plants you'd expect to see when I toured the coast. Unfortunately, the trip was marred with a number of observations of poaching (S. oreophila, S. minor, S. flava, Dionaea.)

If you want to see my photo essay, take a look at  CP FAQ entry that I just uploaded.

It's not all depressing, btw, there are some pretty nice photos of great plants.

Cheers!

Barry

ICPS Director of Conservation

Wow! Thanks Barry! That was an absolutely fabulous account of your trip and the plants. And beautiful photography! (I had to laugh at the kudzu photo...I live in Virginia and you see scenes like that ALL the time. Kudzu is a horror.)

The writing was interesting and fun...well worth the time to look and read. Unfortunatley most of us "ordinary" growers will never get to see scenes like that, so its nice to be able to live vicariously through others who do get the opportunity. Lucky you!

That was quite a treat!

Suzanne

Doh,

He ran out of bandwidth. Going to have to wait to see read it!

Barry,

Thanks for sharing that, a fascinating CP travelogue and the best half hour I've spent this week! The fact that poaching remains such a threat to these wonderful plants makes me weep though. All the more reason to propagate and distribute the plants in my care.

One question, my S. oreophila, a vigorous, cultivated clone, produces masses of characteristic sickle-shaped phyllodia in late summer, yet these structures are not apparent on the photographs of the plants in habitat. Do they behave differently in the wild?

Cheers

Vic (UK)

Hey Vic,

Sarracenia oreophila does produce the sickle-shaped phyllodia that you mentioned. I guess none of the photos showed them. But they're there. I've got some other photos I took of this species in Alabama, and the phyllodia are quite visible. Check my photo gallery on this species.

Cheers

Barry

Barry, I have been waiting for the photos ever since I heard that you were going to be in the area. I went to your site the day you put up the pics and I got to the pic of the sundew from the mountains and then your site exceeded it's bandwidth, and I had to wait a whole another day to see the pics I really wanted to see, the green swamp pics. Maybe the next time you're there I'll be able to personally get to show you around.
The poaching stories really make me sick.
mad.gif

It seems like there are alot of poaching incidents in the last few months. Everybody thinks poaching is a thing of the past, because of tissue culture. It's true that you can get vft's really cheap now but vft's from the wild is still a whole lot cheaper.
Good job on the pics Barry, I really enjoyed seeing them and reading your story. I loved the posion ivy story.
biggrin.gif
That was so mean.
laugh.gif

Back