User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Native species, conservation, etc.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk to your mom about having somebody else come in a burn it. The foresty service, or even you local fire dept. They may do it as a practice burn.

I tried.. but they won't do things like that here because we are outside of the fire district. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] So they are worried because if something happened and the fire got out of control or caught our house nobody would send a fire truck. They would send state troopers to be sure everyone was evacuated.. but that's all..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purplesundew,

What's the reason for your bog being overgrown? Is it as a direct result of the house/other human activity, or is it just natural succession? Do you get many natural fires up there, or are they suppressed? Apologies for all the questions, but you are fortunate to live in such a nice part of the world.

Giles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carnivorous plants that are native to the Nordic countrys (Denmark ( including Greenland), Finland, Sweden, Iceland and Norway)

we have, including with local name, Nor.=Norwegian, Swe.=Swedish, Dan.= Danish, Ice.=Icelandic, Fin:Finish

Utricularia ochroleuca, Swe:Blekbläddra, Nor:Mellomblærerot , Dan:Kortsporet Blærerod , Fin:Kalvasvesiherne

Utricularia minor Swevärgbläddra, Nor:Småblærerod. Dan:Liden Blærerod, Ice:Blöðrujurt , Fin:Pikkuvesiherne

Pinguicula villosa Swevärgtätört
    Nor: Dvergtettegras Dan:Lådden Vibefedt Fin: Karvayökönlehti

Utricularia intermedia Swe: Dybläddra, Nor:Gytjeblærerod Dan:Storlæbet Blærerod Fin:
    Rimpivesiherne

Pinguicula alpina Swe:Fjälltätört Nor: Fjelltettegras Dan:Alpe-Vibefedt Fin:Valkoyökönlehti Ice:Fjallalyfjagras

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea Swe:Flugtrumpet

Drosera rotundifolia Swe:Rundsileshår
    Nor:Rundsoldogg Dan:Rundbladet Soldug Fin:Pyöreälehtikihokki Ice:Sóldögg

Drosera intermedia Swe:Småsileshår Norikesoldogg Nor:Liden Soldug Fin:Pikkukihokki

Drosera anglica Swe:Storsileshår Nor:Smalsoldogg Dan:Langbladet Soldug Fin:Pitkälehtikihokki

Utricularia stygia Swe:Sumpbläddra Nor:Sumpblærerot Dan:Thors Blærerod

Utricularia australis Swe:Sydbläddra
    Nor:Vrangblærerot Dan:Slank Blærerod Fin:Lännenvesiherne

Pinguicula vulgaris Swe:Tätört
    Nor:Tettegras Dan:Almindelig Vibefedt Fin: Siniyökönlehti Ice:Lyfjagras, Hleypisgras

Utricularia vulgaris Swe:Vattenbläddra Nor:Storblærerod Dan:Almindelig Blærerod Fin:Isovesiherne

I have heard that you can find Sarracenia in southern Sweden and a few places in Denamark, but I'm not sure about this but a swedish website include Sarracenia on the list of plants of plants native to Scandinavia
    regards Bjørn

Giles- It's due to suppression. Alaska has many wildfires every summer and up north they are allowed to rampage for thousands of acres. Down here they can't let them burn because of houses, etc. They have controlled burns in the state parks and such when the habitat starts to stagnate.
    We can't do that here [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    I'm pleased to say that our house and our family has had a very limited effect on the bog. I've explained to everyone who lives here about the bog and it's flora and taught them to identify and enjoy them without causing harm..
    Yes.. Alaska is beautiful.. I love the country up here and it will be heartbreaking to leave it.. I feel very blessed to have been raised here [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought, but some fire departments like to do training in the places they would actually have to put out fires. While you are outside the fire protection district, they might still be interested in doing a 'training' at your house. They might also do it as a preventative measure to burn any accumulated 'fuel' and prevent a bad wild fire from getting started there and spreading into their district. The problem I see with this is the damage that could be done driving the equipment in to where they need it to control the burn. If they are made aware of the problems this would cause, they might be able to find ways to minimize their impact. Just a thought
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Washington State:

Utricularia Minor
    Utricularia Vulgaris

Pinguicula Vulgaris

Drosera Rotundifolia
    Drosera Anglica

Im pretty sure these are all of them, if not, someone fill me in.
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

BjørnNorman,
    Are you sure those sar species are native? I thought they were only native to North America....Are you sure those aren't introduced species? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast