Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi sarracenia site in trouble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we could come up with a way to make that cp site a money maker for them, they would surely listen. I don't know how realistic that is for an airport, though. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

At the very least, maybe we could convince them to give us a certain amount of time (assuming they get the building permits) to relocate the endagered flora. Granted, that would be a MASSIVE project...I'll mark my calendar....
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the Nature Conservancy, which has some activity in the area: Nature Conservancy - Mississippi coast.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Is there any new news on this? The last posting is from Feb 2003.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. The wetlands may not be protected if the presedents planned rollback of the clean water act sucsedes- a great great amount of wetlands will lose protection if this occurs
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't the know the intricacies regarding planning permission in America but over here such a large expansion might require a council comittee to which the public are able to attend. There is also the opportunity to object once planning permission has been granted.
    It might also be worth contacting the local media if things start to go ahead - the prospect of interesting plants being destroyed will probably appeal to Joe Public and create some bad publicity.
    What kind of sarras are in trouble by the way? Leucophylla?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They would be S. alata, purpurea and psittacina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In many parts in the UK the government owns land that it uses for bombing practice etc. and these surprisingly have prooved popular with wildlife - mainly because the public is excluded, and the areas disrupted are statistically small. (bear with me I will get there...)
    Perhaps the answer is to persuade the airport to build in a low damage manner, and section off the rest of the site carefully so that the wildlife is protected, including the cps. The public would be kept out, the perimeter would be entire and the plants would probably survive a bit of noise and pollution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I just saw this. I know of the site (well someone who is concerned about it). Email Barry to ask the emial of whoever it si he knows that will do a plant rescue. It is some organisation like meadowview. I emailed them but never got a response. Maybe my email is messed up (It probibly is.)
    Tre Bond
    Treaqum@yahoo.com (If you cannot contact Barry)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast