What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mississippi sarracenia site in trouble

Wish we could save them all.

Keep us all informed, I live in Louisiana and I have some limited business contacts in south Miss. I will find out what I can. I am an easy ride to Pascagoula if needed.

Good. I smell an NASC rescue in the wind.

YES! I am so proud of you rescuers.

Okay, so this thread is a year old. I wish I was a member a year ago when you were talking about this. I live in Mississippi, only about an hour drive from this location in question. I have no idea if the airport has expanded or not. I would be willing to go and personally dig up every plant I could find and bring them home or something like that. I live in a national forrest area, I wonder if they can be replanted in the national forrest? Anybody know what I can do to help these plants?

I guess the best thing at this point would be to see what the state of affairs is now. If expansion plans are rolling ahead and sarracenia sites are being threatened, then we need to do something. If they never got permits or anything and the project fell through, then there is no cause for concern. So I'm not sure whether this is a matter of checking out the area marked for expansion or if we just need to further contact the people involved.

Thanks for volunteering. More suggestions anyone?

Peter

well, it is about an hour and a half away from me, so some phone numbers of how to check on it would be nice before I make the drive. I have a 6 month old and would probably need a baby sitter for the day. But I'll do whatever I can. I don't know, I might like to make the drive anyway. I've never seen any CPs growing in the wild before. I heard there were some around my house and I'm still looking for them.

Oz Have you got an update on this expantion?

I work in Texas 15/5. Those five days that I am home in Mississippi I'm ready to roll!

Why were all of the plants in those pictures were destroyed, instead of collected and spread around the CP-community or relocated or something? I imagine very few land owners/developers would say "No, you can't collect anything. We'd rather bulldoze them over." Most just don't care about these "weeds" and I can't imagine why they wouldn't let you collect them 99% of the time as long as you can do it without disturbing construction. Unless they are paranoid that you'll steal building materials or something lame like that.

Thanks for posting in this old thread. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen it and had the chance to ask for an update.

Once again development tries to overrun nature, that's Earth for ya.

is anyone still working to prevent the destruction of the plants?

I doubt there is much we can do at this point.

Back