Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Huge poaching of vft's

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter, you have the right train of thought, about the genes. If you take one plant and clone it (tissue culture), you'll have too many plants with the same genetic makeup, and there will be alot of inbreeding. The whole population of vft's will suffer. In the long run the plants will be weaker and will be more vulnerable to disease and overcrowding by other plants.

The reason people still poach, even though you can get vft's cheap is because vft's in the wild are free, unless you get caught. I'm sure that who ever did this has done it before. Maybe just a couple of plants. But just like any other criminal if they get away with something once they start to think they can do it again and again and not get caught. So next time they poach a few more plants than last time and make some quick money. Soon they think they are so good that they are invincible and they take all the plants they can carry. That's what I think happened in this case. But just like almost all criminals when they think they are invincible,they slip up. This time I think he slipped up.

There is a lesson here. I hope everybody remembers it. When a large number of cps are poached they are going to end up in one place, our collection. Who do you think these people sell the plants to. Us. There are two types of people that buy cp's. One is the type that don't really care about the plant and buys it as a spoof or just to actually have a legendary venus flytrap to show their friends. That plant will be dead in two months. The other type is us. The people that collect as many cp's as they can care for or get. I'd say 80% of cp buyers are the collectors. I'm sure almost every one of us has at least one plant that has been poached. I bought some vft's a couple of years ago, nice mature vft's. He even threw in a mature S.purpurea free. Since I am from NC I know some of the locals. I found out from one of the locals that he was a well known as a poacher. Should I have known better, yes. Any time somebody offers you mature plants, that should send up red flags. I just didn't think that this person would do that. Anytime we see somebody on ebay selling mature plants you have to stop and think about it, they are probably poached. I'm sure that some of us have some of these plants that were stolen from this site in SC in our collection. If you have something to sell, you take it to a market that will buy. Who is the best market for cp? Us cp collectors. I can't say that the plants were sold on ebay, but I'm sure that some us have been targeted by the poacher in one way or another, It could be on ebay or it could be a website on the cp webring. If any of you have bought mature vft's within the last six months send me a pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, ig someone is able to take 100 plants and get away with it for this long, the site is not adequeately protected.

Perhaps if the TC culture plants were used sparingly and(unless each of the sites has different genetic makeup)spread amongst different sites, they could help alleviate the problem a tad.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Oct. 29 2003,12:00)]There is a lesson here. I hope everybody remembers it. When a large number of cps are poached they are going to end up in one place, our collection. Who do you think these people sell the plants to. Us. There are two types of people that buy cp's. One is the type that don't really care about the plant and buys it as a spoof or just to actually have a legendary venus flytrap to show their friends. That plant will be dead in two months. The other type is us. The people that collect as many cp's as they can care for or get. I'd say 80% of cp buyers are the collectors. I'm sure almost every one of us has at least one plant that has been poached. I bought some vft's a couple of years ago, nice mature vft's. He even threw in a mature S.purpurea free. Since I am from NC I know some of the locals. I found out from one of the locals that he was a well known as a poacher. Should I have known better, yes. Any time somebody offers you mature plants, that should send up red flags. I just didn't think that this person would do that. Anytime we see somebody on ebay selling mature plants you have to stop and think about it, they are probably poached. I'm sure that some of us have some of these plants that were stolen from this site in SC in our collection. If you have something to sell, you take it to a market that will buy. Who is the best market for cp? Us cp collectors. I can't say that the plants were sold on ebay, but I'm sure that some us have been targeted by the poacher in one way or another, It could be on ebay or it could be a website on the cp webring. If any of you have bought mature vft's within the last six months send me a pm.
    I think its the other way around...most VFt's are bought by kids who are intrigued by them, follow the instructions to the letter, feed them 3 corse meals a day etc. Occasionally you see cobra plants, neps, or other novelties at Home depot of Lowes, but why buy their if you are a serious collector and want a Nepenthes "Judith Hindle" or a double flowered Sarracenia leucophylla?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't put tissue cultured plants back in the wild. They are clones and they are weaker than plants that come from seed. If you flood a wild site with tissue cultured plants then you have just flooded the site with weaker plants with the same genitic makeup, and soon you're going to have weak inbreed plants. That will make the whole population weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] I think its the other way around...most VFt's are bought by kids who are intrigued by them, follow the instructions to the letter, feed them 3 corse meals a day etc.
    I sale cp's to the public and I know for a fact that most cp's that is bought by non cp'ers are doomed. Most plants that are sold without instuctions on how to care for it. The plants are a nolvety and they really don't care about the plant. I'm not saying that cp's shouldn't be sold to the public. Every once in a while you sell a plant to a person and that plant sparks a interest, and that person becomes a cp'er. Tissue cultured plants are made to sale to the mass public, and if they lose intrest in that plant after a couple of months than there are thousands of plants to replace it. That's not true with plants taken from the wild. Each plant from the wild is a uniqe plant, and every one that is taken and sold to someone that will lose interest in that plant, is a major lost, that genetic make up will be gone forever. The gene pool for that species has just gotten smaller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hate the fact that all my cps are clones of clones of clones and nothing but an exact replica of the orginal but someday i hope cps will be abundant and that this won't have to happen [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] . have they caught the guy that stole the 100 vfts yet , i hope so , and that they put him in the slammer .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] ........burn him!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust me that match has already been lit!!!!!!!
    Enough said [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey All,

At PFT, we on occasion get solicitations about purchasing 'field collected' plants.

I assure you that every time we get these calls... every agency is contacted in the area the seller is calling from.

This year alone, Lynda (greenhouse1) has has several calls on this exact subject. She spent several days on the telephone with authorities in several states and counties trying to get to the bottom of it and forwarding all information about the sellers possible.

One day, there will be an unlucky caller... who will be the winner of a huge fine from our efforts to cease abusive field collection.

If you suspect anyone of doing field collection illegally, please feel free to contact greenhouse1 (Lynda). She has a lot of information on who to call and what the procedures are.
    Phillip J. Crane
    Austin, TX

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast