Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Huge poaching of vft's

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any way to breed, from our clone plants, viable seed and/or plants that will be suitable for reintroduction into the wild? As cp'ers and responsible growers I'm sure that we can come to a solution for this problem... Any ideas or suggestions?

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet that if he is caught, the wild VFT plants will be confiscated. Perhaps rhizome divisions might be introduced inot the wild, or better yet seeds...though the effect of those won't be seen until 5 years or so later.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited the site on Wednesday Dec. 31st.

I met with Wildlife Biologist Jamie Dozier. Jamie first took me to the site where the vft's were stolen.

Most of the patches of vft's were under water and we couldn't see any.

But we did find some very nice vft's.

Look how red these traps are!

Here's the spot where they were taken from. Jamie said that there were almost 100 vft's in this small area and the thieves took every one of them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We then rook a ride to a very large open field. Along the ditches were giant clumps of
    S.flavas.

In the field was a nice population of this sundew.

I think its D.brefolia.
    After we left this field we drove around and I saw more S.flavas. One clump was about three feet in diameter. It's the biggest clump of any pitcher plant I ever saw in my life. Unfortunately I had used up all the space on my camera and I wasn't able to get a pic. You can bet that I'll get a pic when I go back and I hope it'll be in bloom.
    Jamie told me that they also have S.minor, S.rubra, S.purpurea, D.intermedia, and D.capillaries. He also said that he was a lot of orchids, I forgot how many he said. This place is so big that it would take you a month to explore it all. It even contains many Carolina Bay's. Which are very strange. This is the second best cp site I have ever seen. It was amazing. It will be on my list of sites that I have to visit every time I'm in the Carolinas. I can't wait to go back.
    I have left a lot of info out of this post. I plan to write a full account of this story soon, but right now I'm not able to do so. Trust me it'll be worth the wait.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry about the size of these pics but I let the pic server resized them for me automaic. Last time I'll do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Those are some phat photos! What a tragedy to see something so awsome get uprooted like that. Thanks for posting Ozzy.

Travis
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to see some VFTs in the wild eventually. Was that live LFS they were growing in?

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All those VFTs are so cute [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Poachers of VFTs should be eaten by a nep. Just kidding.
    -The Cap
    Uh... my email is captainalan@gmail.com
    Disney is trying to take over the world. They have castles all around the globe. Kids like Mickey mouse more than our president, soon he will rise to power!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast