What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge poaching of vft's

i hate the fact that all my cps are clones of clones of clones and nothing but an exact replica of the orginal but someday i hope cps will be abundant and that this won't have to happen
smile.gif
. have they caught the guy that stole the 100 vfts yet , i hope so , and that they put him in the slammer .

mad.gif
........burn him!

Trust me that match has already been lit!!!!!!!
Enough said
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Hey All,

At PFT, we on occasion get solicitations about purchasing 'field collected' plants.

I assure you that every time we get these calls... every agency is contacted in the area the seller is calling from.

This year alone, Lynda (greenhouse1) has has several calls on this exact subject. She spent several days on the telephone with authorities in several states and counties trying to get to the bottom of it and forwarding all information about the sellers possible.

One day, there will be an unlucky caller... who will be the winner of a huge fine from our efforts to cease abusive field collection.

If you suspect anyone of doing field collection illegally, please feel free to contact greenhouse1 (Lynda). She has a lot of information on who to call and what the procedures are.

Is there any way to breed, from our clone plants, viable seed and/or plants that will be suitable for reintroduction into the wild? As cp'ers and responsible growers I'm sure that we can come to a solution for this problem... Any ideas or suggestions?

Steve

I bet that if he is caught, the wild VFT plants will be confiscated. Perhaps rhizome divisions might be introduced inot the wild, or better yet seeds...though the effect of those won't be seen until 5 years or so later.

I visited the site on Wednesday Dec. 31st.  

LewisbaySIGN.jpg

I met with Wildlife Biologist Jamie Dozier. Jamie first took me to the site where the vft's were stolen.

56820072-savanna.jpg

savanna2.jpg

Most of the patches of vft's were under water and we couldn't see any.

water.jpg

But we did find some very nice vft's.

000_0215venus.jpg

000_0219venus.jpg

000_0220vft.jpg

Look how red these traps are!
000_0216venus.jpg

000_0218venus.jpg

Here's the spot where they were taken from. Jamie said that there were almost 100 vft's in this small area and the thieves took every one of them.

000_0221stolen.jpg

We then rook a ride to a very large open field. Along the ditches were giant clumps of
S.flavas.

FLAVA.jpg

In the field was a nice population of this sundew.

000_0225sundew.jpg

I think its D.brefolia.
After we left this field we drove around and I saw more S.flavas. One clump was about three feet in diameter. It's the biggest clump of any pitcher plant I ever saw in my life. Unfortunately I had used up all the space on my camera and I wasn't able to get a pic. You can bet that I'll get a pic when I go back and I hope it'll be in bloom.
Jamie told me that they also have S.minor, S.rubra, S.purpurea, D.intermedia, and D.capillaries. He also said that he was a lot of orchids, I forgot how many he said. This place is so big that it would take you a month to explore it all. It even contains many Carolina Bay's. Which are very strange.  This is the second best cp site I have ever seen. It was amazing. It will be on my list of sites that I have to visit every time I'm in the Carolinas. I can't wait to go back.
I have left a lot of info out of this post. I plan to write a full account of this story soon, but right now I'm not able to do so. Trust me it'll be worth the wait.

I'm sorry about the size of these pics but I let the pic server resized them for me automaic. Last time I'll do that.

Wow! Those are some phat photos! What a tragedy to see something so awsome get uprooted like that. Thanks for posting Ozzy.

Travis

I want to see some VFTs in the wild eventually. Was that live LFS they were growing in?

SF

All those VFTs are so cute
biggrin.gif
Poachers of VFTs should be eaten by a nep. Just kidding.
-The Cap

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ Sep. 29 2003,12:05)]this is the kinda stuff that makes me so pissed of that i can shove peat down a eprsons throat , i don't know who did it but whoever did i hope they catch him and give him what he deserves .
Shove peat down a poacher's throat?

That wouldn't be my orifice of choice... >;-D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Sep. 29 2003,5:57)]I think we should start a topic with peoples ideas on how to stop this kind of activity.  I mean real ideas not hanging, beating, etc. like I've seen on this site in the past.
I am partial to Farmer Bob, with a double-barrelled shotgun. If you poach in Texas, you will eventually run into Farmer Bob.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Nov. 07 2003,10:30)]Nepenthes "Judith Hindle" or a double flowered Sarracenia leucophylla?
It's Nepenthes 'Judith Finn' and Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle'. And the double-flowered S. leucophylla is S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"This is not going to get you any money," Luken said. It's more likely that the perpetrator came home with scores of mosquito and tick bites than with something valuable, he said.
I hope they got lyme disease >
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You can't put tissue cultured plants back in the wild. They are clones and they are weaker than plants that come from seed.
couldn't we CPers (ehem... or those of you who have mature VFT's and can let them flower) donnate seed to preservation places and have them plant them there?

another thing that makes me furious is that my pictures of the VFT's flowering (and the sundews) got deleted... I will be forever scarred by that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]couldn't we CPers (ehem... or those of you who have mature VFT's and can let them flower) donnate seed to preservation places and have them plant them there?

If that was to happen, we would need to be 100% sure that the plants came from the wild, not TC.
Since there is only one species of VFT, I'm not sure if it would be ok to relocate plants from other sites. I don't know alot about genetics.
I'm not sure if adding new plants to the wild is even needed. Vft's do very well where when they are established to a site. The problem is development is reducing the number of sites. Development near vft's sites contributes to draining the land that they grow. Another big problem is fire suppression. With the absence of wildfires the overgrowth is choking out the vft's.
Introducing new plant material will not help any of the above problems.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]another thing that makes me furious is that my pictures of the VFT's flowering (and the sundews) got deleted... I will be forever scarred by that.

Who deleted them and where were the pics?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Who deleted them and where were the pics?
:'(
I'm not sure... either they were in my PC so that when the comptuer messed up they got deleted (I restored the system), or I had them in that disk that got somehow totally erased. (I still hadn't figured out the D drive trick... you can save them in the D drive so that you don't have to delete them when you restore the system. I was so happy when I "discovered" that. it also saves space on your C drive)
well... they weren't that good anyway...

AMG wolf you made it sound like mods deleted them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111one oneone one one

Wow its already been two years since this happened.. Any updates on the site?

Back