Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Huge poaching of vft's

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

While on our trip to Triangle Lake Bog yesterday, Nick told me that he read in the listserv that over 100 vft's were poached. When I got home last night, I looked it up and I found this article on the SCDNR website.

RARE VENUS FLYTRAP PLANTS STOLEN FROM HORRY COUNTY HERITAGE PRESERVE

The S.C. Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Division and Wildlife Diversity Section are investigating the theft of about 100 native Venus flytrap plants from Lewis Ocean Bay Heritage Preserve in Horry County.

"Last week, about 100 Venus flytrap plants were found to have been dug up or removed from the 9,300-acre Lewis Ocean Bay preserve, located north of US ######## between ####### and ######," said Jamie Dozier, a Wildlife Diversity Section biologist with the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
    The apparent "plant poaching" occurred on at least two sites within the preserve, Dozier said. Both sites are part of an ongoing research project being conducted by Dr. James O. Luken from Coastal Carolina University.
    "Lewis Ocean Bay preserve is home to the largest population of naturally occurring Venus flytrap plants in the state or possibly within its natural range in the two Carolinas," Dozier explained. "Large expanses of bay habitat on the preserve support at least 15 known populations. Venus flytraps are increasingly rare and a plant species of special concern."
    Naturally occurring plant populations are also found on the ##### ##### Preserve in ###### Horry County; however, plant collecting and habitat destruction pose a threat to the survival of the species, Dozier said. "The Venus flytrap is of special concern to us in the two Carolinas," he said. "Worldwide, the Venus flytrap is only native within a 100-mile radius of Wilmington, N.C."
    Theft or destruction of the Venus flytrap on Heritage Trust property is a violation of DNR regulations, according to Natural Resources Enforcement Sgt. Stan Woodle in Horry County. "Any person convicted of abuse or destruction of DNR-owned land or property could be charged up to $455 for each violation. Anyone with information on this case is urged to call the DNR, Operation Game Thief and Coast Watch Hotline at 1-800-922-5431. A reward is offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible."
    Nursery or greenhouse-raised Venus flytraps are legally sold at roadside produce and garden stands and some home improvement stores. However, the origin of the plant is sometimes questionable. Before purchasing a Venus flytrap from your local vendor, Dozier encourages the consumer to verify the plants origin to ensure that it's a greenhouse-raised plant and was not illegally collected in the wild.
    - Written by G. Michael Willis -

I don't have much to say about it. Right now the only thing I can say is too bad this didn't happen in NC, because SC poaching laws are way to easy. In NC the fine is $2000 and 6months in jail for each plant.

If anybody knows of any greenhouses that sell vft's in the area of Myrtle Beach or accross the state line in North Carolina please send me a pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

this is the kinda stuff that makes me so pissed of that i can shove peat down a eprsons throat , i don't know who did it but whoever did i hope they catch him and give him what he deserves .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...I'm setting up a display in my biology class..with vfts and reptiles....I'll have to print this article up and place it next to them with this heading "Like what you see? Enjoy them now because they may not be around for much longer."

That's terrible....100 less plants in the wild...
    2.0 Burmese Python
    0.0.1 Sandfish
    2.4.1 Leopard Gecko
    1.1.13 Beardies
    0.2 Desert Tortoise Hatchlings
    -Wish list-
    Candoia SP.
    Frilled Dragon
    C.Quadricornis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is very sad to see this happening in todays world. With the mass availability of venus flytraps from tissue culture, one would think that the cost of the tissue cultured plant would have killed off the poaching need that some individuals have. If these plants were taken for commercial sales, the nursery or greenhouse should know that the same plants can be had from tissue culture for less hassle than sending someone out in the field to collect them. It is also not worth the risk of jail time and the fines associated with the poaching of plants.

It seems that the only way people will learn is when the last venus flytrap is pulled from a site. Even then I doubt it will keep people from looking for just one more.

It also strikes me funny that people will go out to poach the common form of the venus flytrap when there are much more colorful variants available from tissue culture.
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it rather depressing that they would poach such a relatively inexpensive and readily available plant.

Is there any efforts to return typical plants to the wild?

I don't have much to say about it. Right now the only thing I can say is too bad this didn't happen in NC, because SC poaching laws are way to easy. In NC the fine is $2000 and 6months in jail for each plant.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, $2k x 100 = $200k and 50 years in prison. Yep, sounds about right to me. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the rate things are going, looks like wild VFTs could one day be extinct. I bet there are more plants in captivity than in the wild!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It disgusts me that someone would do that.

I actually tried to visit that exact site last year - as my fiancee & I were in Myrtle beach. We got lost and by the time we were on track it was getting dark, and we never made it there.

While down there we also noticed many places were selling illegal baby turtles.

Myrtle beach is very built up - but the surrounding areas seem very weird, poor & decrepidt - rusting trailers, etc. I don't think we will ever go back. We actually rescued 4 wet emaciated tick infested puppies some jerk had dumped by the side of the road. We brought them back up to Connecticut - the vet who checked them over said they had cigarrette burns all over them and that they had been fed deer corn. Luckily all were placed with really good homes.

[img]http://home.**********.com/wildbill/four.jpg[/img]

On The Way Home In The Tacoma...

As for the preserve - is this a situation where they would reseed or replant the area in the spring?

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure hope they didn't list the locations on the DNR website! Did you block out the directions or did they?

I think we should start a topic with peoples ideas on how to stop this kind of activity. I mean real ideas not hanging, beating, etc. like I've seen on this site in the past.

Education by CP clubs, reporting of questionable sources of plants for sale, things like that. We, the CP community, need to take action the DNR in most states is underfunded and just doesn't really have protecting CPs as thier primary objective.

Lets put our heads together and come up with some good ideas and maybe make a difference!

9. Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast