What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would it help

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
I was wondering if it would help if we could have a topic pinned where people could post addresses of various state and/or federal organizations where people could write in support of conservation efforts or protests against development or field collecting, etc.

I think a lot times people want to help, but maybe are too busy to hunt down the "who" and "where" or don't know how to find the information. Or maybe they haven't even heard about a particular issue. From time to time you read about various conservation controversies in a newspaper which wouldn't get the nation/worldwide exposure to people who CARE as it would here.

If somebody comes across an issue where letter-writing could be of support, a post could be made with an outline of the situation and an address where you can write to express your views.

The easier you make it for people, the better the chances are someone will make the effort to to call or write to get their voice in on an issue.

It could be address of a state legislator, a company CEO, an organization head....anything. Even if the address doesn't seem pertinent to your state--I care about the fact the people are poaching flytraps even though I don't live in NC.

Think this would help..or no? If someone could check here and in one spot find resources where they can lend vocal support? Or even find links to conservation programs to support? Hate to say it but I wouldn't know who to write in my state if I wanted to protest a land development program that might destroy native CPs. But I could find out and share that info for everyone.

Just a thought.
smile.gif

Here's one --  I don't want to be stepping on any toes, but The Nature Conservancy has an e-newsletter.  You can find it at www.nature.org.   Maybe they could buy up all the bogs then anyone who tries poaching would have even bigger trouble, or maybe I'm just dreaming again.  
smile.gif
  Saving the last great places on earth.

Hey Folks,

Hmmm. I'm thinking that a list like this might be a lot of work, and would change frequently.  Maybe it would just be best if folks make sure they include appropriate contact information if they find out about something that could benefit by contacting such-and-such office. For example, a few years ago I found out about a timber harvest that was endangering a cool Darlingtonia  bog. So I went to the net and distributed information about this, including the contact information for the Forest Service folks reviewing the "timber harvest plan." I encouraged people to mail/email/FAX, and many did. Net result:   Darlingtonia  protection at that site.

But...here are a couple of useful links:

US Senators

US Congress address search engine

When contacting these people, remember paper mail is more effective than email.

Cheers

Barry

Well...I didn't really mean a topic where any one person went to the labor of searching out a bunch of contact information.  I meant a pinned topic that was there for people to contribute contact information they already have or come across in the future or as issues arise with links to specific areas of concern... on a continuing basis.

For example...the links you provided in this topic are great...but they will eventually sink out of sight.  Out of sight, out of mind.  That link is useful to me only if I'm planning on writing someone NOW.  Two months from now if something should arise and I need that info, would I remember that link is posted here and would I remember the topic title to find it?  Yes, anyone can do a search and find public government info on their own...but there are lots of conservation organizations and issues "out there" that people aren't aware of.  I learn about new things all the time in this forum.

I was thinking more of a permanent "library" of contact information for ready reference if/when needed that could be added to (or edited) at any time by any member who comes across useful information.  Its pretty easy to edit a topic to keep material timely.

I don't know.  Maybe its not a good idea and nobody would post to it or use it anyway.  I just know for most people, the easier you make it, the more likely they will take the time to speak out or give support.

I wrote to the "authorities" about the cows who were trampling the darlingtonia...because I was provided the information on who to write.  Got a response too.

That's what I tried to do when I pinned the topics that are ongoing battles. I have the Green Swamp and the Sarracenia ite in Miss. I think that most people have stopped looking at pinned topics.
I like you idea. If I get time I'll make a list of all the address I know and post them in one topic.
What I think we need is away to get more people active in this forum and read the Conservation post more often. Any ideas on that?

Yeah. Explain to people its the ConSERVATION Station, not the conVERSATION Station.
biggrin.gif
lol (That Travis...he just cracked me up...he wanted to know the difference between the "Conversation Station" and the General Forum...lol Too cute.
smile.gif
).

Seriously...I agree. Maybe a post in the General Discussions forum (which is so popular) reminding people about the forum and explaining what it is all about? Asking for involvement (reminding people that not only is propagating CPs a good way to keep them in our beautiful world but also helping with conservation/restoration issues)? A contest of some sort just to get people's attention and some traffic?

Hmmmm...I'll keep thinking. This forum doesn't get much traffic which is too bad.

Ahhhh. Now I understand (I think). I'm certainly looking forward to using the Forum to publicize events that could use input from the public.

Some day I'll have to tell you some anecdotes from that Darlingtonia-trampling event. For example, one day I answered my phone in my office, and discovered I had been ambushed----I found myself in a conference call with 5 people from the agency in question, who tried to frighten me off and shut me up. Fortunately, I've been through far more frightening academic exams (and dissertation defenses!), and wasn't impressed. The tactic was amusing, though, and makes for a good story.

You should feel good about your input in that event. It helped save that site.

Later

Barry

I can imagine you do have a lot of anecdotes.  You get around!  
smile.gif
That was a very interesting (and horrifying) cow saga and I'm glad you brought it to people's attention.  I'm sure the "authorities" didn't like the exposure.  But I'm really glad the site was saved.  You gotta love "people power".  I like cows too but not trampling the darlings. Hmmmmmmm...maybe we could get some traffic in the forum if we advertise "Come One, Come All...Read "Anecdotes by Barry."  
smile.gif
 Everyone enjoys your writing..you have a good spin on your observations.

I wonder....maybe a good way to get some input would be to ask the members themselves.  Post a poll (ugh...I hate polls but at least this would be legit) in the General Forum where almost everyone frequents.  Selections could be:  "In regards to the Conservation Forum ...1) I have never been there   2)  I've been there a couple of times  3)  I go there once a week  4) I check it once a month  5) I only go there if I see a topic in the header that piques my interest...etc. Then maybe ask the respondents to comment on why they are or are not interested in it. See what appeals and does not appeal to people.

Maybe have an "Open House"..."Come visit the Conservation Forum. Check it out...read some topics...and register to win a set of color CP notecards!" Hehe.  If anyone ever needs a giveaway for a good cause....I can whip something up like that.  (Little does my office know it, but they are "donating" the newsletter for Meadowview.  lol Shhhhhhhhhhhh!)

I don't know.  Bound to be a way to get folks to come here more often.

I have my thinking cap on...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Dec. 18 2003,10:30)]Yeah.  Explain to people its the ConSERVATION Station, not the conVERSATION Station.  
biggrin.gif
  lol  (That Travis...he just cracked me up...he wanted to know the difference between the "Conversation Station" and the General Forum...lol  Too cute.
smile.gif
 ).
HAHA...That is a knee slapper.
laugh.gif
I am older and wiser to your ways now PAK...tee hee

I think it is a good idea to have a place in which people *us* could contact like our state reps or DNR officies. If it is going to be pinned I think it should be used as a reference not a place to posts thoughts. I have such a lack of knowlegde on what is going on with cp's in the wild in Michigan.

All I can say I hate Pine Trees for lumber...horrible for hunting and of course other things. I was out duck hunting in the U.P. near the refuge for ducks. Now the refuge is open to hunting for the public.
mad.gif
I would luv to write and complain about that.

Happy Hanika! Shower me with 8 days of gifts now!,
Travis
smile.gif

You're a good sport Travis.
biggrin.gif

Yeah...I meant if there was a pinned topic that it would be more of a reference tool than a place to make comments. That could always be done in a normal topic.

Eights days of gifts?!
wow.gif
Mercy...ONE day is killin' me! I could shower you with...uh...peat! I got lots of that.
smile.gif
If I had as much money as I do peat, I'd be rich! lol

Happy Hannuka (sp?)!

Hi Travis,

I live in Michigan and unfortunaely jioned the ranks of the unemployed this summer. I am working now. I used my time off to travel across the state to visit it's prime CP spots. Most are on stste land and some are owned by the nature conservancy. There is of course quite a bit on private land as well. I stoped by a DNR office in the UP to ask if they knew where I might see a P. vulgaris in the wild and they menioned that there were several sites with S. pupurpurea spp. purpurea f. heterophylla but these were all on private land. There is always the danger that the private sites will be developed but quite a few great spots have been preserved.

Back