Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stop Breeding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. I can see where he is coming from with the nuclear reactors though they ARE scary! Here in mo we have mustard,seran,nerve and some other toxic gases just a few miles away! In fact the base here is the ONLY place that trains useing small amoumtsof it! That would make anyone nervouse. I could see it now terorists steal nerve gas and crop duster and spray all over killing everbody! Very scary thought indeed![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To understand the reality of nuclear power accidents, as well as failures of other complex systems, find a copy of Normal Accidents, a book from around 1990 (I think). And California's energy crisis was manufactured by marketers. It's funny how free market southerners haven't allowed their own utilities to be opened to the sham competition of deregulation. But little of this energy discussion has any direct relevance to CPs.

The underlying problem is waste, whether of energy or of Sarracenia habitat. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think the problem is bad land use. And bad land use happens because subsidies and government policies encourage it. Sure, lots of people want more space, but far fewer would choose it if all the costs came out of their pocket instead of society's. Hopefully, $3 gas will encourage wiser use of resources. I doubt it, but I do hope.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]It will never happen in Louisiana because we produce our own energy via a nuclear power plant. Something that was proposed in Cali, but shot down because "no one wants to live within 250 miles of a nuclear power plant"
    Um, actually I live only a couple hours away from a nuclear plant. My brother goes to Cal Poly (San Luis Obispo ), which is right next to it (they have emergency plans incase of problems at the plant). This is in California, of course, so I dunno why you were under the impression that there isn't a nuclear plant here ?

Next issue: Wind Power. Window power doesn't go without its environment impacts either. I can't find the story right now, but I read about a case in Germany (along a coast) where upon the completion of a wind power system, the climate changed durastically. I think wind power is great and all, I've seen it widley used in Europe, but I don't think it's the answer.

Another alternative that no one has brought up yet is fusion. I know that it's not possible as of yet (as a controlled source, ie, not an explosive), but if you check news relating it, you'll find that a lot of progress is being made. I'm not saying that we should just sit around until the day where fusion as a power source is available, but it's in important development to keep in mind.

Ok, so now that I've edited this for acceptable "troll" levels, let me just say that a lot of people simply don't use their common sense, if everbody would just think, then life would be a lot easier. But then, you already knew that [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] .
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year, i lived next door to a nuclear reactor. I mean less than a hundred meters. Before that, i lived about 100m from a nuclear reactor. Both of these reactors were research reactors for schools, but the point is, the reactor itself, if properly designed, is almost foolproof. Almost.

The real problem is the disposal of the radioactive waste, something that nobody brought up. That's a problem that was delegated to 'the future' when nuclear generators were first built, and unfortunately the future hasn't solved it yet.

A few years ago i took an intensive upper-division biology class called Rainforest Ecology. It was incredibly educational and interesting, but i realize now that the explosive mood i was in for months afterwards was a result of the dislike i acquired for the human race and impatience with the wasteful way we often live. My family teases me for being rabidly waste-phobic and conservation-minded.

Anyway, i have learned to be careful which battles i pick and how much i get involved when it comes to conservation, because i'm prone to have it affect me too much. So i agree with those that say the problem is our attitudes, and not our population.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ditto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That just proves the backwardness of the Cali's. They will let educational establishments have a nuclear reactor, but as soon as a power plant wants to open the doors people come out of the woodworks to sign the petition. Personally, the energy bills that ya'll recieve are the faults of your neighbors.

As far as the pollution caused by them, yes that is true. Taken as a whole though, every single PLAUSIBLE energy production system that we have now creates pollution. All others pollute the ENTIRE world, nuclear power contains its pollution to an extremely small level that can be contained untill such time that we can dispose of it. I know the options suck, but whats better polluting the entire world, or polluting 5 square miles of un-inhabitable desert land?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me, but hey, I could be wrong.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast