Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Stop Breeding

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Angry

Ok Casper, one known California nuclear reactor down, but the one in El Diablo Canyon still supplies power, and something tells me, that it's probably not the only one out here. Now, I think you need to watch your temper and check yourself a little bit, maybe it's just me, but the term "backwards" is not only outdated, but offensive. I for one, currently live in California, now, do I not appear to agree with you? Am I raving against nuclear power? Am I still living in a little straw hut raging against technology? ... So, can we please keep terms like "backwards" on the "no-no list" for now? They may be Californian, but they're people too, despite what the movies portay them as.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I am sorry Est. I have never known anyone to take offense to being called backword, and it was truely not my intent to offend. I guess living in the South all of my life has gotten me used to it. EVERYONE calls us N'awlins folks backwards. I don't see where I have a temper or am showing anger at all, just pointing out my view. What the west does will sooner or later have an affect on me. Cali will require more energy to be pumped in, then it moves west. Sooner or later someone wants to buy MY energy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard the "socialized" power systems of a couple California cities were unafffected by the price crisis. The energy pirates couldn't attack their customers.

But the fundamental problem is how much energy we use, not how we create or distribute it. Forgive me for reciting numbers, but annual non-industrial energy use here in CT increased from 338 trillion BTU in 1960 to 663 trillion BTU in 2000, while the population increased from 2.5 million to 3.4 million. On a per capita basus, we went from 135 million BTU/person in 1960 to 163 million in 1970 to 175 million in 1980 to 185 million in 1990 to 195 million in 2000. Thanks to OPEC, primarily, the 20% increase in per capita consumption during the 60s hasn't continued, but we still see energy use racing ahead of population growth by 5% per decade. Land conversion is increasing even more rapidly.

Sarracenias and other living things don't have a chance if we don't use land and other resources much more efficiently. A lot of that increased energy use supports bigger homes in more distant locations, with all the transportation and commercial development needed to support them. We can't pretend to support Sarracenia conservation if we're unwilling to see the role of unfettered development in their destruction
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey herenorthere, Where the heck did you get a calculator that has that many 0's? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the worst possible background - a degree in geological engineering. So I have a geologist's comfort with huge numbers and an engineer's desire to play with them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where did you get your degree in geological engineering? i was going for that for a short period of time before i found out college didnt agree with me.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the University of Mississippi. I didn't go to school to become a geological engineer, but ended up one after quitting once, changing schools once, and changing majors three times.
    Bruce in CT

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I have never known anyone to take offense to being called backword, and it was truely not my intent to offend.
    I know you didn't mean to offend (well, I was hoping atleast), I was just letting you know about the situation, the term has a bad track record, just look at (especially European) history. Don't worry about it, I know you're a good guy. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

As for the issue at hand:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]But the fundamental problem is how much energy we use, not how we create or distribute it.
    A very, very nice point. That's the problem with people today, they'd rather sit around with their thumbs up various body-cavaties and wait for some major breakthhrough in Fusion technology, then have to give up their precious SUC -I mean SUV (or do I?), turn off a bloody light when their not using it, or maybe not have their pool filled during winter, and so on. Conservation is so easy, I'm just amazed at the way that some people waste.... Oh boy, so, to prevent a rant, and to make sure that I get myself to bed, I'll cut it off here, and assume that everyone know what I'm saying.

So to sum, before we sit around and wait for the answers of the future to solve the problems of today, why not do something constructive with our time?
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast