User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia liles

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nepenthe @ Feb. 10 2004,06:32)]The US Fish and Wildlife article that I read indicates that harvesting of cut flowers from the wild is arguably the biggest threat to these plants.
    I'd like to read the article. Does the article indicate that the flowers are used for the cut flower industry or removed for their seed?
    This is the first time I've ever heard that flower removal is even a threat to wild populations. It doesn't seem realistic to me that complete obliteration of pitcher plant habitat isn't a greater threat. Certainly populations can continue to exist simply by growth and division.
    imduff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly a little mis-communication on my part. What I was referring to was the harvesting of cut *pitchers*
    I have seen nothing that says that the harvesting of flowers for floral arrangements is even happening (on a problem basis... I suppose a few may be taken from the wild...)

You can read the summary by the US Fish and Wildlife service here:
    http://international.fws.gov/animals/sarracen.html
    This is a link to an article cited by the USFWS in their summary, lots of good info.
    http://www.traffic.org/bulleti....de.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Habitat preservation isn't going to save many S. Leucophyllas. There isn't enough money in symathetic hands to buy much land, even swampland, and the current trend of federal or state wetland preservation isn't promising. Commercial propagation can eliminate a lot of plant poaching, especially if vigilant CP enthusiasts keep an eye out for improper sales on eBay, etc. An income generated by a sustainable harvest of S. leucophylla pitchers would probably preserve more than anything we can do. But, unfortunately, it could lead to the selective culling of plants with "less desirable" pitchers and, of course, to the loss of other Sarracenias. I'd hate to see a diverse assemblage of Sarracenias replaced by a monoculture of the most garish leucs, but it might beat the alternative.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems to be a two-way street...

On one hand you have the legit harvesting companies that operate off of their private land. These companies arguably are doing little to destroy populations of pitcher plants aside from "influencing" others to collect from the wild and share in the profits. So yeah, they are not that bad, depending on how you look at it.

On the other hand, you have those who harvest cut pitchers from the wild. This action is said to be more detrimental to the population of Sarracenia (or a number of plants in the bog, for that reason) not because of the removal of pitchers or wild plants, but because of the excess wear on the habitat that the collectors inflict via foot and ATV traffic.

It would be mighty spiffy if those harvesting companies donated some of their profits to the Nature Conservancy or what have you -maybe they do? I don't know.

It's a pretty difficult issue... which poison would you choose?
    I'll shut up now

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nepenthe @ Feb. 11 2004,21:12)]Possibly a little mis-communication on my part. What I was referring to was the harvesting of cut *pitchers*
    A common misconception among non-CPers, is that the pitcher is a "flower". It is used as a flower in many floral arrangements as much for it's beauty as its unique shape and coloring.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one book Gardening With Carnivores: Sarracenia Pitcher Plants in Cultivation & in the Wild by Nick Romanowski that talks about cut pitcher production. If I has the money and the land to build artificial bogs of several acres, it would be a very profitable business. Drawbacks are planting hybrids near natural stands, planting in existing bogs, etc. I do hope these pitchers are cultivated and not wild collected. However, it is still a large practice to wild collect pitchers for sale to the floral industry. This is done on private or least land as already stated. It also most likely occurs on lands not released for the purpose. If only one or two pitchers are removed a year from a plant, it would not have a huge impact on the plants survival. However, it is suggested that many suppliers strip the entire plant which will be detrimental.

The book I mentioned is a good one for a peak into the world of cut pitcher production. In the long run, cut pitchers will help save at least some of the taller, and more colorful Sarracenia and their hybrids. It could also mean the end of many others in the wild due to changing laws that remove protection from other areas.

Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if my local library would have that book. It sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.
    Thanks for the info&the reference!
    -T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I saw some on Ebay lately, being sold as cut flowers. I'll check....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast