Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia liles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several websites marketing identical products. There is so much that can be said about the ads on this website, but I will let the page speak for it's self. Imagine the pleasant aroma of... digesting insects.
    Um... no, I am not an employee of the Flower Depot trying to land some more business.

http://www.tfdepot.com/search.itml?icQuery=sarracenia

I emailed the company and asked about their unique liles... no response yet.
    -Trevor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Itís the beautiful things that always go first.
    I bet they dont give a darn about the plant even if there were only a few individuals left.

I mean come on, its not even a FLOWER
    Thats false advertising, not to mention morally wrong.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tfdepot@aol.com if you want to shoot them a line yourself. Just try not to be too presumptuous or hot-headed. I know some of us can get a tad impassioned at times.

I have recieved no reply yet. I may contact some of the OTHER companies out there (just search for "sarracenia lily").
    http://www.earthlypursuits.net/Merchan....de=SARR
    I am drawing MINIMAL conclusions about Flower Depot's practices (or a related supplier). However, to me the odds that they have a greenhouse full of Leucs growing pitchers to be harvested once, maybe twice per plant, per season is more far fetched than the idea of a bunch of wankers trapsing around a bog, collecting pitchers. The latter seems as though it would yield more product than the greehouse method.
    However, anything is possible.
    Even if there are legit harvesters using private land (which could theoretically be considered a form of propagation?) there is no guarantee that they do not enlist people to collect further specimens from the wild -this might just be the paranoid side of me.

Here is an exerpt from the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service International Affairs: Sarracenia spp. and natural hybrids:
    It appears that at least two out of the six major harvesters cut from private or leased land, including bogs that have been augmented with species whose distribution ranges do not naturally extend to these areas. However, the majority of pitchers still appear to be cut from wild populations and concern has been voiced over the long-term effect of harvesting on these populations and habitats (Groves 1993).

Feel free to cite this, or more importantly read it yourself:
    http://international.fws.gov/animals/sarracen.html
    TONS of info on that page related to cut pitcher sales

-trevor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can call too, if you're interested.

LaForge, Steve (UAPMILGRHI) tfdepot@aol.com
    The Flower Depot
    725 Lanning Rd
    PO Box 654
    Tonganoxie, KS 66086
    US
    913-845-2099

I really hope they aren't poached. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading the USFWS article referenced in my previous post, I searched out one of the referred writings:
    "Examination of the US Pitcher-plant Trade With a focus on the White-topped Pitcher-plant:"
    By C.S. Robbins

There's some interesting stuff in there, along with pictures of harversters doin their stuff
    http://www.traffic.org/bulleti....de.html

"

A retail company in the State of Maine contacted by TRAFFIC offered dried wreaths decorated with Sarracenia in its 1995 Christmas catalogue (identified by TRAFFIC as being White-topped Pitchers). The company informed TRAFFIC that it has purchased wreaths from a local floral manufacturer which, in turn, claimed to have bought an unknown quantity of dried Sarracenia from Company A in Alabama; these specimens are all believed to have been wild-collected. Based on the number of pitchers used per wreath and the total number of wreaths produced, it is estimated that at least 45 000 dried Sarracenia pitchers were purchased for wreaths sold in 1995. This retail company no longer offers the wreaths for sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This really sucks , i'm going to try to instant message the company whenever there online and ask them a few questions , obviously their poached .

There is a very well known leuco site in Alabama that produces these pitchers for the floral industry. Although pitcher harvest probably has a detrimental effect to the plant, there have been benefits also. The mentioned site is being properly managed to encourage growth of the leucos. After years of not being burned the site was finally burned. The burn turned a struggling site into a fantastic site.
    I've seen too many sites where the land is considered more valuable as a gas station, rather than a bog. I'm for any excuse that'll make people consider protecting these sites.

imduff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From some of the reading I have done, there are about five or so companies that "farm" pitcher plants. I hope it is one of the ~2 that farm pitchers on private land. An article I read said that five of the companies were contacted, but only two replied, so I obviously don't know if the others harvest from wild or not. However, the reading I have done indicates that yes, there are companies that use their own land. There is also a decent amount of tissue culture of leuc's in Amsterdam for this perpose.
    Although I fully support the preservation of pitcher habitat even for the farming of the pitchers (much better than simply destroying the land in favor of a gas station).

The odds are still in favor of wild collection, though.
    The US Fish and Wildlife article that I read indicates that harvesting of cut flowers from the wild is arguably the biggest threat to these plants.

The Flower Depot responded to my second email. Nothing too interesting, though.
    >Our Sarracenia lilies come from several sources, so I cannot >give the origin. 15 is the smallest bunch we have.
    >
    >Thanks
    >The Depot

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast