Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: U.S. National Sarracenia Collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A corporation is not required to incorporate in the state of its operations. Its simply paperwork. Since we will be a non-profit, tax implications for doing business accross state lines do not apply.

Paul

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking a separate forum or sub-category might be helpful. It might help keep various Nat'l Collection related threads from being mixed in with other topics. Also it might draw more attention to the project if it stands out somehow.

By the way...do we have an "official" name for the Collection/Project? Is it "First National Democratic Sarracenia Collection"? Or that something that needs to be decided or voted on? And it should it be plural (CollectionS) since there will be more than one location?
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of a central place to house and show sarracenia to show the public and educate them. It could still, as in Mike King's situation, be housed on private land, and maintained by a steward, These plants, as in Mike's case, will not be allowed to produce seed, and divisions will be sent to stewards raising the particular species, or bog of their choice. We do need to get together for a common discussion, all of us, to throw out various ideas, and to vote for the general outline of how we plan to do our job. Because it is a job, and a big one. Nothing is more important than maintaining these plants for the future of our Children and our country. The joy of raising them is secondary to preserving the heritage. Anyone who may have ideas to further us along, say your piece. I still do not like being the only nominee, and want another, so speak up and nominate someone else. It's lonely at the top!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,
    If I understand the term 'Bog of your choice' you don't mean an 'into the wild transplanting' do you?
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the name is something we should vote on, oviously there won't be complete concensus but it should be a name that holds meaning to everyone. One of the first major problems in the band I formed was individuals from previous bands wanting to carry on their name/"legacy".I'm not particular about names,but I think conservatory in place of collection seems preferable,as collection dosn't seem to adequately describe the means to our end.I mean we all have "collections" and will continue to expand them personally. This is much more than a collection it's a conservation effort unlike any other that has been preposed.Conservation would also adhear to the standards of a NPO.Just my 2 cents "Whats in a name"- John Shlitts,Bob Heartman
    I always suspect everything is a trap....thats why I'm still alive

Times fun when you're having flys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, Mike. I meant, a steward will be able to recieve plants from the bog of their choice. To care for them, distribute seed and seedling to CP growers for their collections, and enjoy the stewardship they have requested for a particular bog of speciemens. All material will first come from other collections of known locale species and the natural hybrids that survive in that bog. Or they may request the keeping of a certain species alone, but from various bog locations. It is still open for discussion though, and I don't want to get too scattered. I have much to think about trying to keep this simple as possible. Just ideas so far anyway, as there have been no votes taken of any kind.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we should evaluate our goals, needs, and resources. We should also form committees and place people according to their strengths and expertise. Between all of us we can cover all aspects of our endeavor - political, legal, financial, biological, etc... It is obvious that Noah has good organizational skills. Casper is aware of legalities. Tamlin is our impassioned leader. So is Suzanne - the originator of the topic. Who are the biological experts? Keep working with Mr. Mazur, Mr. Rice, Mr. Schnell. I think Noah's suggestion to diversify where we keep plants is a wise one. Take a lesson from the Japanese Koi breeders that ended up with weak, inbred Koi.We need to be able to do tissue culture & infuse fresh genetic material. This Sarracenia conservation project may actually spill over to other endangered CP's. (2 cents)

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the word "conservatory"...except it makes me think of a building since it means a greenhouse. Perhaps "conservancy" would be more appropriate?

"an organization or area designated to conserve and protect natural resources"

We have:

National Sarracenia Collection?
    First Democratic Sarracenia Collection?
    First Democratic Sarracenia Conservatory?
    First Democratic Sarracenia Conservancy?
    National Sarracenia Conservancy?

Any other suggestions?

Jimscott...I just started the post. It wasn't my idea. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] This topic has been in the heads of a number of people, in particular our esteemed Bugweed, and SarraceniaObsessed (Brooks), along with others. I just made the post to get it started. And, sorrowfully, Tamlin will not be our leader. He has stepped down and is currently off the forums. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Hmmm...I'm thinking of setting up that poll I was going to a while back. That might help give us an idea of what people and resources we have here. Let me see if I can find that.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome