Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. National Sarracenia Collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm severely lacking in the knowledge department and in the time available department, but of course I'm in on this!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't have any Sarracenia of known origin to make available, but, you've got my support.

Perhaps some public awareness could be raised by donating plants (either the so-called "mongrel hybrids" now, or spare plants later) to local botanical gardens and/or zoos, in exchange for them providing information on the plants, and their conservation status to raise public awareness. I suspect that a lot of smaller botanical gardens would be happy to use some space for that, in exchange for getting some plants, and that if the information was already written for them about the dangers to the habitat, they might be willing to post it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm in. I don't have an extensive sar collection, but I will happily join the crusade.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be useful to establish exactly which sub-species and varieties this project should include. I wouldn't think that it would be nessecary to include hybrids, unless there is an outstanding population that cannot be reproduced from the original varieties. A centralized database listing exactly what is being conserved and a list of people who each have a sample of what's being conserved would save a lot of redundancy.

Some redundancy would be needed for genetic diversity and insurance against disasters (both natural and man-made).

What is being discussed here sounds like it already exists on a small scale but isn't organized. In a perfect world there would be two or three complete collections located in seperate parts of the country as well as many partial private collections located all over the world. The main element would be an organizing body that kept track of those collections.

Seems to me that we first need to make a list of what species, sub-species, and varieties we want to preserve (sans taxonomic debate). This shouldn't be too difficult. After there is a completed list that everyone can agree on, people can sign themselves (or their institution) up as Stewards for whatever they're posative they have. Some lucky institution(s) can establish themselves as the main collection if they want to (and who wouldn't), and before you know it, it's all taken care of. This should be a fairly simple thing to accomplish. Even if no institution wants to take a leading role, the partial private collections should suffice with proper coordination and open communication.

I think one of the keys to the success of this project is keeping it simple.

So who wants to put forth the first version of the list?

Jason the Monk
    "Like most religions, reason has presented itself as the solution to the problems it has created."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll do what I can.

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to a U.S. National Collection of plants, an effort should be made to assure that seed is stored at an established Seed Bank. In that way, germ plasm can be conserved. See, for example,
    http://www.berrybot.org/cons/cons_seed_bank_links.html

I would REALLY like to see the ICPS Conservation Chairman weigh in on this thread. Whatever is done should be a part of or sanctioned by ICPS.

The idea of a (Inter)National Sarracenia Collection sounds like a lofty project. The number of plants this involves is likely in the thousands, if not tens of thousands. For a site with a population of less than a hundred plants, three or four plants collected from the site might adequately represent the population's genetic make-up. What about a site with thousands of plants, like the well-known Sumatra red-tube flava site? Would 50 plants collected from such a site be adequate? Please don't think that I'm suggesting we collect plants from the Sumatra site. When you multiply the number of sites, as small as some of them may be, this adds up to a lot of plants. Does a facility exist that could maintain such a collection? As mentioned, this could only be acheived with numerous locations housing the collection and maintaining a seed bank.
    Phil Sheridan of Meadowview Biological Research Station already maintains a genetic bank of Virginia Sarracenia in the form of seeds and plants. Virginia truly is in the last stages of wild population Sarracenia existance. Just this year, the largest known population of flava in Virginia was sprayed with a herbicide. Not all of the plants were destroyed, except possibly the Drosera brevifolia population. Luckily, Phil has the material to repopulate the site.
    Phil maintains a non-profit organization with similar goals to the Nature Conservancy and Atlanta Botanical Gardens. He not only maintains a genetic bank but, also actively preserves Sarracenia habitat. He is as informed about the status of wild populations of Sarracenia as anyone. I can't speak for him but, feel that he has plenty to offer any kind of organization with ideals of saving Sarracenia. He should be contacted.
    Personally, I feel that habitat destruction needs to be curtailed. As well as we think we can grow these plants in a pot, there is no replacement for natural habitat. As this goal is idealistic, I support any attempt to keep a genetic bank. It's better than no action.

imduff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your int erest support and hard work. Since I can't possibly answer and address each of you in turn, let me inform as to what I am doing.

I have appointed several comissioners to deal with the early formulation of outr concept. In place are committees for Facts and Advisement: a fact finding and information gathering tool which I hope will soon brief me with a list of who's who in the Sarracenia world pertinent to contact and recruitment

Outreachh committee which is currently drafting a who, what, where, when and why prospective which will be included in out initial contact efforts to secure an assembely.

Working to set up a head count poll to assess the numbers of out constituancy.

Some current needs include the inception of a Public Relations committee which I hope will keep awareness up, and help keep the ball rolling, develop a plan of calling public awareness to this project when the time is ripe. If you have expertise in this area please contact me.

I hope soon to generate a web site.

I am assigning interested parties to various committee's where skills and needs meet.

Please understand that this concept is not mine. I am not the Author, and am only acting as pro-tem president. Once we have an assembely, the first o rder of business will be to elect officers to replace the pro tem voluenteer's, at which point I fully intend to step down from this office.

There are some good thoughts being put into words, many ideas which will need to be reviewed and discussed in committee, and presented for eventual review.

Right now, all I am concerned with is a show of hands and the formation of an assembely.

I will do my best to contact each pair of willing hands to delegate responsibility.

A few brief comments to some statements:

Outreach will be involved with soliciting the cooperation and support of many diverse elements of CP Society. That this project is possible has already been demonstrated by Mike King.

The main thrust of the Collection as I see it will not be so much to solicit material from individuals, unless it is accompanied with meticulous collection data and then only after expert review. Rather, it should be a focus of the Collection to reproduce and distribute rare material into the general growing society from certain sources.

This will involve sensitive field collection. Although I too opt for land preservation, it is plainly evident that this will not in and of itself be successful. Extropolating from the last 50 years to the next 50 years paints a dismal and fatal picture for these plants. My feeling is that this material needs to be banked, and soon.

This is a sensitive issue, and I do not know how the ICPS would embrace the idea. This will be part of out outreach efforts, along with contacting the various nurseries involved with Sarracenia sale, herbariums, and conservancy groups.
    All will be given opportunity to stand up and be counted.

Decades of study, and reservations regarding the ethics of field collection have not secured these plants. I think the time we can afford to wait for a bright tomorrow is done.

Seeking to obtain and maintain exclusivity with rare forms of Sarracenia in private and commercial stewardship for reasons of ego and potential profit need to give way to a more sound ethic if we are to save these plants. You can't reserve what you wish to preserve. Not any more. We also do not need a score of ardent collectors bent on doing the right thing going out and pulling up every different looking Sarracenia in the name of conservation!

These issues will be resolved in congress, and not by individual decisions.

Finally I ask that no one refer to this effort in any way *my* project. I will cordinate and direct your willingness, but only as a pro-tem officer. Credit for this concept goes to Bugweed and Brooks. I am a Sarracenia novice, and very much require each and everyone's assistance and backing to get the ball rolling.

What we need now are for some members of CP Society with prestige to stand up and be counted. Without such intervention this project will peter out in apathy, and to do this we need to present a serious, intelligent and above all possible prospective to potential sources of this type of support.

So, carry on! If I have made a request of you for specific information, please apply yourself to the work. A coordinated effort like this requires many hands completing what might seem to be minor tasks, but each part depends on all the others. If you can't find the time to act as requested, I ask that you tell me so up front, so duties may be reassigned. I am acting under the assumption that all will be willing to do the work, and if it proves to be impossible, you must let me know. If I have not yet contacted you, be patient. You will soon receive your induction notice.

Please continue to raise awareness, and ask interested parties to come to this thread and be counted.

Our Motto is:

"There is no time for you to be busy". If we are to be in time to save our plants, we *must* make that time!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast