What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey folks,

A person named Tre Bond just mailed me, with news of a road widening project occurring in Florida, south of Jacksonville on 210. He says the road widening project will be killing the local population of Pinguicula lutea, P. caerulea, P. pumila, Drosera capillaris, and D. brevifolia. If you are interested in saving some of these plants, you should contact Tre Bond and see if he’ll send them to you. I have no idea of how old Tre is, or his resources, so I would encourage you to offer to pay for all postage charges. And please, I hope no “sharks” take advantage of him and fail to reimburse him for plants (even if they arrive dead)—it’s important to encourage local activism.

Also, please make sure, in your correspondence with Tre, that he’s taking these plants legally and with cooperation from the road crew!

His address is:

Tre Bond
3000 Santee Place
Jacksonville, Florida 32259

Cheers

Barry

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, please make sure, in your correspondence with Tre, that he’s taking these plants legally and with cooperation from the road crew!

How are we going to figure that out? I would love to help out, but I don't know what to do? Do I just e-mail him and ask him what his plan is and offer to help out with growing space or whatnot?

SF

I agree. I'd hate to accept some and then discover they're from the edge of a park or something and that I'll be visiting a sunny prison in the sunshine state. Can someone who knows more about this offer some words of encouragement?

You want encouragement? Go for it! Would you rather see threatened plants dead? It is not illegal to rescue plants in accute jeopardy. If they are sent to you and you know where they came from, then you will have your first locale species plants, and have saved them from sure extinction. Exactly what the NASC is all about. Prison is not in your future for plants only on the threatened list, and these plants are more than threatened. They are in immediate danger of extinction, and that is permanent. Mail this guy and get those babies out of there. Highway work is through the State, and the State doesn't care if the plants live or die, so help them live. Write this fellow, and save those plants!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SnowyFalcon @ Mar. 12 2004,21:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, please make sure, in your correspondence with Tre, that he’s taking these plants legally and with cooperation from the road crew!

How are we going to figure that out?  I would love to help out, but I don't know what to do?  Do I just e-mail him and ask him what his plan is and offer to help out with growing space or whatnot?

SF
Send him a letter and ask him. If he says no then don't get the plants. If he says yes then keep the letter for your records and have him send you some plants.

smile.gif

BCK

Hey Folks,

As noted earlier about verifying that the plants are legally collected, all you can do is mail Tre and tell him that you want to make sure he acts appropriately. If he says he doesn't know what the laws are, I would not take him up on the offer.

Later!

Barry

Back