Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Crestview cp site

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos to YOU Brooks and all who helped with the rescue. Although its sad the site is gone...the plants themselves WILL live on with its very specific location data. WELL DONE...and thanks. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] In spite of the sorrow, its exciting to see the plants saved!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received mine today. Brooks, I am amazed at the time you took to pack, address and send these! The plants look fine and I potted and watered with superthrive solution today.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks,

I want to repeat previously voiced warning. If you get any field collected plants from a rescue effort (land being "developed"), inspect the plants VERY carefully. Look at Don Schnell's 2nd edition CP book to see warning signs of various bugs. Kill any bugs you find. I just got a Sarracenia rubra subsp. gulfensis plant that had a pitcher packed with "straw"; the straw was packed by an Isodontia wasp---the larva was hiding in the straw.

No dissing the huge effort being made to save the plants in the rescue effort intended! But recipients must do their parts and inspect their new arrivals carefully for undesired hitchhikers in the pitchers and rhizomes.

Thanks again, Brooks, you da man!

Cheers

Barry
    Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
    Co-editor

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone interested, here is some information about the location of Crestview, FL:

Crestview is located in the Northwest Panhandle of Florida.

The City of Crestview is situated at the junction of three major highways: U.S. 90, State Road 85, and Interstate 10. Crestview is 54 miles east of Pensacola, 160 miles west of Tallahassee, and 30 miles inland of the Gulf of Mexico. The average summer temperature is 80 degrees and the winter averages 51 degrees.

The city was named Crestview due to the elevation of the crest at 235 feet above sea level, which makes the city the second highest elevation in Florida.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine showed up today. the packaging was a lil over kill but other wise they look fine considering. as to the potential pest problems. they are to be expected. they will be potted up as soon as i am off work and placed at the opposite end of the house from my other CPs. and how exactly do you recomend hibernating them? can they be placed with my Tarnok and Judith Hindle for dormancy?

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The average winter temperature may be 51, but remember that there are many days that the temperature in northern florida drops into the 20's, and yes, there have even been snow flurries. I live in the central part of the state and in an average winter we get 4 or 5 episodes of below freezing temperatures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, got mine today, in Oklahoma. Thanks. Will get them in the ground tonight.
    Rick Myers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have'nt seen mine yet [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I hope they come tomorrow.

Jerry