What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crestview cp site

And the goverment still does not do nearly enough to protect the plants. These things need to be covered with the bond issue. Each areas wild animal and plant life needs to be checked with the suveying, but that will not happen unless it is forced. Great Job Brooks, an appreciative hand to you. Jim and Jay!

All you have to do is look at what they are doing with the large sugar plantations and the Everglades here in Fl. and you can realize that protecting the environment is not one of gov. Bush's high priorities. In fact water and air quality has improved recently in Florida because the state redefined what constitutes pollution. On a side note the newspapers are already predicting we are going to screw up the election again just like in 2000. The new voting machines apparently malfunction fairly regularly and leave no paper trail for "recounts", but at least there won't be any hanging chads. Rumor also has it that gov. Jeb plans to run for president in 2008.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>I will miss visiting the Radio Tower site.

My parents once lived in Crestview and I had several occasions to visit them there, while, of course, scouting around to observe local CP populations including the Radio Tower site.

I don't expect there will ever be an end to how we humans have our way with our fellow creatures to their detriment. What a shame.
confused.gif

Thanks guys for trying to save those you could.</span>

Here is some information on the Economic Development Council of Okaloosa County, FL.

This link takes you to their Greenway Initiative. Looks like they forgot to do their job.
http://www.florida-edc.org/GreenwayInitiative.html

I am going to take a wild guess and say since this wasn't on military land or non-profit land, it wasn't protected under this Initiative.

Thanks guys for going out there and rescuing as much as possible.

Does anyone have a before picture they can post to commemorate the site?

As sad as it is that this site is destroyed, I am pleased to say that when the call went out. Soo many stepped up to the plate that the babies had homes in about one hour!! Now that is the way it should work, and I am pleased that all that responded had the chance to get in on this emergency rescue. Make sure all plants are tagged and all location data is accurate. ICPS ands NASC seed banks will be pleased to receive our seed with locale data. I have also posted the sites demise on the CPUK Forum too. All must know the destruction of our lands and streams, and the direction the world is headed if we don't stop now!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ July 23 2004,10:15)]Make sure all plants are tagged and all location data is accurate
Thanks for the reminder to do this Bugweed. I've committed to accepting these plants and ensuring propagation. Location data is an important reminder of what has been lost in a specific area and for what reasons.

We need to remember that, while this is important to us, non-enthusiasts see these sites are nothing more than glorified, mosquitoe infested swamp land. When given an opportunity, we should point out that the 'developed' area, which is more likely to be a reflection of our gluttony and selfishness v. human need (Mickey Ds v. habitat for humanity), once contained a unique creation now lost forever.

Show a 'condo hugger' what they lost, what replaced it, and urge them to use birth control.

I would like to know something about the care of these plants. My concern is that Virginia weather ain't Florida! I don't know where Crestview is or much about the conditions there but I would expect the winters are a lot milder or even warm? So wouldn't I need to take extra care that these plants do not freeze? My other sarras stay outside year 'round and take whatever weather comes and they do fine. But I can certainly provide different care for these plants if they need it. I have a basement with plant lighting where they would be cool but not cold.

Any expert guidance on what conditions these plants would prosper in?

Thanks!

So I'm assuming they are all gone?

I would have/still am, interested.

Here is an update:
I have finished the last of the packing and shipping. That is the last of them. Thank you everyone who requested to take these orphaned plants in and give them a good home. I am sorry if you had wanted some of these plants and did not get any. I will return your shipping fee. I changed the plan and only sent two plants pre box as so many folks wanted them and I felt this still gave everyone two different clone with which to cross and make seed. This experience has been a very bright spot in dark situtation. I appreicate all the kind words and generosity. I was overwhelmed by the response and pleased at the same time. I think if this is any indication of what is possible through the NASC, then we can do great things. Over 140 plants were shipped out to 70 individuals and Nature Centers across the US. Kudoos to you all!

Kudos to YOU Brooks and all who helped with the rescue. Although its sad the site is gone...the plants themselves WILL live on with its very specific location data. WELL DONE...and thanks.
smile.gif
In spite of the sorrow, its exciting to see the plants saved!

Received mine today. Brooks, I am amazed at the time you took to pack, address and send these! The plants look fine and I potted and watered with superthrive solution today.

Hey Folks,

I want to repeat previously voiced warning. If you get any field collected plants from a rescue effort (land being "developed"), inspect the plants VERY carefully. Look at Don Schnell's 2nd edition CP book to see warning signs of various bugs. Kill any bugs you find. I just got a Sarracenia rubra subsp. gulfensis plant that had a pitcher packed with "straw"; the straw was packed by an Isodontia wasp---the larva was hiding in the straw.

No dissing the huge effort being made to save the plants in the rescue effort intended! But recipients must do their parts and inspect their new arrivals carefully for undesired hitchhikers in the pitchers and rhizomes.

Thanks again, Brooks, you da man!

Cheers

Barry

For anyone interested, here is some information about the location of Crestview, FL:

Crestview is located in the Northwest Panhandle of Florida.

The City of Crestview is situated at the junction of three major highways: U.S. 90, State Road 85, and Interstate 10. Crestview is 54 miles east of Pensacola, 160 miles west of Tallahassee, and 30 miles inland of the Gulf of Mexico. The average summer temperature is 80 degrees and the winter averages 51 degrees.

The city was named Crestview due to the elevation of the crest at 235 feet above sea level, which makes the city the second highest elevation in Florida.

mine showed up today. the packaging was a lil over kill but other wise they look fine considering. as to the potential pest problems. they are to be expected. they will be potted up as soon as i am off work and placed at the opposite end of the house from my other CPs. and how exactly do you recomend hibernating them? can they be placed with my Tarnok and Judith Hindle for dormancy?

Rattler

The average winter temperature may be 51, but remember that there are many days that the temperature in northern florida drops into the 20's, and yes, there have even been snow flurries. I live in the central part of the state and in an average winter we get 4 or 5 episodes of below freezing temperatures.

Hey, got mine today, in Oklahoma. Thanks. Will get them in the ground tonight.

Have'nt seen mine yet
smile_h_32.gif
I hope they come tomorrow.

Jerry

Back